How often do springs need replacing? (w202)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

golden1245

Car
1999 C230K Sport
Hello everyone, my '99 C230k has 175,000 miles on it now. I've changed out all shocks, LCA bushings, balljoints, steering rack, steering ball joints so far over the last 10,000 miles. Overall the suspension is pretty good.

Next I would like to replace the Upper control arms (an easy job), the all the little rear control arms (slightly more difficult) but my question is about the springs. I'm really not looking forward to doing them because I have to take the shocks out again. I was wondering if springs need replacing at this mileage? I rarely hear about them going bad or as maintenance item. It's usually the bushings, joints etc that wear at around this time. The ride does feel slightly cushier than new, but that might because of the old upper control arms/rear control arms.

Please let me know, I appreciate it!

Springs will age and may not have the full travel or ability to absorb as they did, they are also known for corroding and snapping on some models.

Springs are also pretty cheap so if you have gone this far why not change them so you know you will have the best set up you can? Also, the springs are your shock absorbers, the struts you replaced are the dampers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom