How Often Do You Service Your Merc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The oil sump capacity has been designed with a 15000 mile oil change interval in mind and the MB oil spec for additives to last the same distance. If I'm changing at 1/3 of that distance then there is no issue with depletion of additives even if run at the minimum mark. It doesn't matter if oil is cheap, from an engineering perspective I stand by the principle that anything above min is perfectly fine and the oil will get up to temperature quicker which is actually a plus point in terms of engine wear. Another potential plus point is increased air space in the crankcase which gives the breather an easier time and may even reduce oil consumption.

Oil is also used to dissapate heat as well as lubricate, get as close to max as you dare, mind you mine dosnt have a dipstick and is due a service

Well my S has a service about 6 months before I got it. I still got my usual mobile mechanic round to give it a full service, all filters etc.

I’ll do that every 12 months which is 12k for me.

My CLS I service when I’m planning to use it. I had fresh oil and oil filter put in it before it went off for storage but when I do get round to using it I’ll service it again.

Having lived in the USA when I was younger, I picked up the habit of changing the oil every 3000 miles. Super cheap when I was living out there with MinuteLube chain regularly offering $15 oil and filter change. This meant that my local VW dealership was price matching them using VAG parts and recommended oil with a car wash and coffee throw-in. Crazy!

After returning to the UK I found oil change super expensive and started DIY oil and filter change to maintain my 3000-mile oil change routine. And yes, I imported my US LHD VW Corrado to the UK!

Then started working on engine management units, visiting the MB testbed in Stuggart, Germany where I found out that the regular engines used in the testbeds will run to at least 500,000km with routined manufacture specified servicing and up to 800,000km with a good one. Anything less than 350,000km would be considered a bad egg!

When I asked the testbed technicians why they don't change the oil more regularly, I was told it was unnecessary as they will not get noticeable more mileage out of the engine but will cause more damage to the environment. Basically, they live and die by their maintenance recommendations on the testbed.

Those conversations convinced me to acquire my first Mercedes and I have stuck to the recommended routine servicing since, of course only using original MB parts. No more and no less.

Last edited:
Having lived in the USA when I was younger, I picked up the habit of changing the oil every 3000 miles. Super cheap when I was living out there with MinuteLube chain regularly offering $15 oil and filter change. This meant that my local VW dealership was price matching them using VAG parts and recommended oil with a car wash and coffee throw-in. Crazy!

After returning to the UK I found oil change super expensive and started DIY oil and filter change to maintain my 3000-mile oil change routine. And yes, I imported my US LHD VW Corrado to the UK!

Then started working on engine management units, visiting the MB testbed in Stuggart, Germany where I found out that the regular engines used in the testbeds will run to at least 500,000km with routined manufacture specified servicing and up to 800,000km with a good one. Anything less than 350,000km would be considered a bad egg!

When I asked the testbed technicians why they don't change the oil more regularly, I was told it was unnecessary as they will not get noticeable more mileage out of the engine but will cause more damage to the environment. Basically, they live and die by their maintenance recommendations on the testbed.

Those conversations convinced me to acquire my first Mercedes and I have stuck to the recommended routine servicing since, of course only using original MB parts. No more and no less.

yes, I think the environmental effects of our decisions regarding cars/ servicing / cleaning are way down the pecking order.

yes, I think the environmental effects of our decisions regarding cars/ servicing / cleaning are way down the pecking order.
I am even more conscious now in HK, as 6 litres of Shell oil costs circa £100 to buy and impossible to find someone to take the used oil back!

Government recycling centres do not take used engine oil nor used car batteries. No body seems to care!

Will the online parts department still be open and deliver parts?

Thanks

Some Halfords stores could be reopening, as part of the essential store plan. Could be the case for ECP hopefully.

You post is very refreshing amongst the really enthusiastic owners on here (as one would expect!).

My own Merc indy is excellent and very knowledgeable.

When I asked him about a mid-point oil change he seemed bemused and told me that they use the long life MB oil which is perfectly adequate to last between service intervals on my kind of usage.

The manual itself does state that of over 50% of the miles are under 8km (or so) then the oil change intervals should be halved.

I only use Mahle filters, bar air filters as I have K&N filters fitted in all the cars.

Oil + Oil Filter changed every 5k.

Fuel Filter changed every second oil change.

Pollen Filter changed every month.

It amazing how K&N still mange to sell oiled air filters. Every study I have ever seen shows them to be worse than the OEM fitment in terms of filtration and the OEM fitment to be more than adequate in terms of air flow. Outside of racing they are just a down grade on what the car came out of the factory with. K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

My oil change is due in a few days, I have the oil and filter, the problem will be getting a long enough run in the car to get the oil hot. Air filter is not due but when I change it I use Wix.

It's the most amazing decades long false marketing ever .

He's a stock VAG 1.9 TDI panel airfilter stretched out .

download.jpg

All that surface area for filtration !

And I believe it's the same box and filter they use on the 4.2 V8's .

K&N are 'wet' filters, they don't use small-holes paper to block dust particles, instead there a mesh wet with oil that traps the dust.

(Incidentally, the principle of wet fiteration isn't new, it used to be very common, the air 'filter' simply consisting of a small canister full of engine oil that the air was drawn through, no paper element).

The K&N filters were originally meant for use in sports cars, where the alternative was air intake 'trumpets' with no filters at all.

I am not surprised that they are less effective than paper element filters in trapping dust, that's by design, but I am surprised to hear of research suggesting that K&N filters air flow isn't better than OEM paper filters.

I am not surprised that they are less effective than paper element filters in trapping dust, that's by design, but I am surprised to hear of research suggesting that K&N filters air flow isn't better than OEM paper filters.

I thought they did flow more air but if more air isn't necessary then there is no benefit which leaves you with a filter that lets particles through resulting in more engine wear.

There is difference between deliberately sabotaging your engine life and living with how it was built. I once had a 1982 Suzuki GN400 single that had a washable oiled foam air filter and also a washable very fine steel mesh oil filter. That's how it came from the factory. It was very cheap to service but I never pretended the filtration was it anything other than sub standard.

It's also why the egr is the devil as it let's exhaust system gasses back into the engine and soot particles are abrasive !

A better system is to take egr gases after the dpf .

Service, usually 3 times a day each time i use it unless its the second wednesday of the month then i only do it once unless its raining then its 3 times and i also replace a 4cm x 4cm square or roof lining with a different colour

I've read this thread with lots of confusing interest, with time on my hands for the next few weeks i have decided to do a oil change on my recently bought 2014 Merc E250. I believe its the OM651 engine and needs 229.31 spec oil. I have chosen Fuchs Titan GT1 Flex 23 5W-30 as it is approved by MB, but its a minefield as so many oils have 229.31 on their specs. Mileage is only 5000 a year and not too many short trips, is it that important, what do you think ? I use ECP cheap Triple Qx in the wifes B200 and that spec seems very good. But as I'm still keen would like to use something "better"

Attachments

• B200 oil.JPG
    B200 oil.JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 5
There's a few merc dealers on eBay selling genuine merc oil very reasonably, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Swansea and Bridgend to name a few. if you give them your VIN you know you've got the correct oil. Also consider a lube cube, 20L for less than £70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom