How Old Are You?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I were to talk of my recollections of childhood, they would be quite different for though I am 60, I mostly grew up in another country, with three lengthy visits to my family here in the UK, but I would like to mention my first impressions of England when I arrived 39 years ago on the 19th July 1977, for good.

I simply could not comprehend why people thought Hinge and Bracket funny, but it was months if not a year before I was told they were men.

Passing a butcher in Hall Green, a suburb of Birmingham, the smell was appalling, and there was a pizzle in the shop window. (Eek)

My sister in law laughed when I said I had got lost but a nice policeman 'gave me a ride'.

Wood chip wallpaper - which side do you paste to the wall? (We chose the wrong one.)

Mini Traveller, why are the brakes so cr@p? We could never get all the air out of the Master Cylinder.

Mints - why do people refer to putting this in tomato-based sauces?

What is a sleeping policeman?

What are these range eggs of which people speak which cost nothing?

Why am I wearing my wool full length coat in July?

And for goodness sake, why do these people have safety pins in their ears and all manner of other places?

I passed my driving test in the UK in early 1978 and only accidentally turned into the wrong lane going the wrong way on the Stratford Road once.

My first car in the UK, provided by my company, was an orange Beetle 1502. My last from that firm which I left when expecting my son, was a French Blue Triumph Spitfire IV.

lisa110rry said:
If I were to talk of my recollections of childhood, they would be quite different for though I am 60, I mostly grew up in another country, with three lengthy visits to my family here in the UK, but I would like to mention my first impressions of England when I arrived 39 years ago on the 19th July 1977, for good. I simply could not comprehend why people thought Hinge and Bracket funny, but it was months if not a year before I was told they were men. Passing a butcher in Hall Green, a suburb of Birmingham, the smell was appalling, and there was a pizzle in the shop window. (Eek) My sister in law laughed when I said I had got lost but a nice policeman 'gave me a ride'. Wood chip wallpaper - which side do you paste to the wall? (We chose the wrong one.) Mini Traveller, why are the brakes so cr@p? We could never get all the air out of the Master Cylinder. Mints - why do people refer to putting this in tomato-based sauces? What is a sleeping policeman? What are these range eggs of which people speak which cost nothing? Why am I wearing my wool full length coat in July? And for goodness sake, why do these people have safety pins in their ears and all manner of other places? I passed my driving test in the UK in early 1978 and only accidentally turned into the wrong lane going the wrong way on the Stratford Road once. My first car in the UK, provided by my company, was an orange Beetle 1502. My last from that firm which I left when expecting my son, was a French Blue Triumph Spitfire IV.

Where were you brought up!

I remember most but not all of these. I'm 43.

We still have many 'standards' around the house & table etiquette. I think it is very important we teach our kids these simple things and keep the discipline & respect levels where they should be.

Also important they are allowed to be kids though & have fun/laugh. Getting the balance as always is key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom