How quickly things change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Hi - had a really wierd experience this weekend, thought I would mention it.

We used to live in Bristol, but moved north three and a half years ago. We reguarly go back as my partners family lives there, as does my step-sons Dad.

For the first time we got to go out in the city on saturday night. (Baby daughter would not stay with grandparents till now!). We could not get over how much it had changed.

We went out early (7.30) and already seemed a bit yobbish, and headed to where the bars all were (Corn Street), to find that a large number were shut and the street was dead. Could not believe that it had changed so much in three years.

Fortunately the meal was good, and the pub that we retired to was never popular with the young ones, but still perfect for an after dinner drink.

Still amazed though at the pace of change, and I start to wonder if I feel that I am getting older now as well:eek:

David

It's not only Bristol, David. And it's not so much us getting old as it is the rest of the world getting young.

Peterborough night time economy was always a little ropey, but these days it's dire - I'm not sure it's unique to the area, but it's quiet in the main, but with occasional unfriendly large groups wandering around. The bars are not as fun as they used to be.

It's not just an age thing although I'm sure that's a factor, it's just everywhere seems sh!t nowadays :D

I live in Bristol David and weekends you may as well forget unless you want your teeth re-arranged plus anything else the low life fancys doing.

But to be fair I think it is the same everywhere now sign of the times.

Things never stay the same once you have gone and try to go back. Many years ago I learned to fly at a typically quintesential flying club in North Yorks, went all the way so to speak and met a lot of good people.

I had to give it all up due to medical reasons (migraines) but eventually I was "clear" so I decided to return. Problem was, the club had turned into a "flying school", all the old characters had moved on or died, they had tarmac instead of grass, movements had become over-regulated etc etc so I packed it in again, probably this time for good.

Portzy.

I was just surprised at the diffenrence in only 3 years - especially having been back in the daytime. The difference at night was remarkable!

David

I was just surprised at the diffenrence in only 3 years - especially having been back in the daytime. The difference at night was remarkable!

David

David, you're entirely right. I very rarely tend to go out in the centre for that reason. The balance has kind of shifted from Corn Street elsewhere. I live in the Harbourside development and the number of stag/hen parties making their presence felt is somewhat of an annoyance at weekends :mad: Unfortunately they stay at either the Ibis or the Travelodge and go out on the Waterfront.

Which puts me in the middle of their triangle of operations :D

Another thing I've noticed is how busy Thursdays are now... Carnage!

Last time I went into town (centre) at night must have been to Romeo and Juliet's - definitely changed a bit since then ;)

its down to the smoking ban in the pubs , they have never had the same atmosphere since that happened :( Loads of people just stay at home these days where they can smoke till their hearts content without standing in the rain or paying silly amounts for beer.

its down to the smoking ban in the pubs , they have never had the same atmosphere since that happened :(

Choose different pubs or towns then. Last time I went out in town some pubs were packed...typically the less Towny ones, with drought beers..
Went to a nice café/restaurant on Monday recently and it was full all night, and very convivial..

LOL..got that, thanks..:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom