How reliable is a w163 ML270CDI?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MWCLS

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
I'm thinking of purchasing one, as the wife's current 2 door car isn't going to be suitable with a baby on the way, and i dont want to have to use the CLS as a baby lugger! I have read horror stories and at the same time lots of good things.

I'm looking at spending £5,000.00 although for the right car i can go up, is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I would ideally like to pick one up through the club or a dealer with warranty. Am I being ambitious with this budget to a get a reliable car?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Michael

Last edited:
I had one and it was very reliable. It did not go wrong once.

However, they are not renowned for their reliability....

Hahaha that's funny. Inlet manifolds, fuel injectors, ball joints, squeaky brakes, pads every other service, rear springs.

I had one and it was very reliable. It did not go wrong once.

However, they are not renowned for their reliability....

Hahaha that's funny. Inlet manifolds, fuel injectors, ball joints, squeaky brakes, pads every other service, rear springs.

Thanks for the advice, I really don't want a money pit! Think I need to do more research or opt for something MB which isn't going to fleece me.

E220CDI face lifted estate s211

Our 2001 ML270cdi was the most reliable vehicle we've ever had. 120k miles and only routine servicing and a pair of rear shocks.

Thinking if I do decide to go for the ML, I will have it inspected by an Indy for piece of mind and a possible negotiating tool if any issues come to light.

Thanks for all your responses.

Our ML270 CDi has been with us 10 years and has been incredibly reliable. It's a shame they are dogged with a bad reputation as most owners on this forum speak very highly of them. Just don't expect it to drive like a saloon and you'll be fine. Buy the latest and bets maintained version you can.

I've sold many ML270's and in the main they have been pretty much trouble free....if you find one that's been looked after you should be OK, but that's the problem, there are loads out there that haven't been well looked after, have multiple multiple owners and next to no service history. Avoid these ones like the plague
Its taken me 3 months or so to find a really nice one for a friend and the amount of nasty ones I saw (advertised as being in great condition) was frustrating + the nice ones down at the auctions went for crazy money.

I use one as a tow car and have sold hundreds over the years.
As above they have common issues but the facelift ones are generally very reliable and comfortable cars.
All of the faults above are common but should have been addressed on most well looked after cars..

I was thinking about one too, a 00' model, so far I've read a mixed bag, I guess there's good and bad in everything. But like I few say, try and find as good as you can for your money. Having said that, I found front discs ect were double to what I'm used to paying, but I guess that's the joys of having an auto 4x4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom