How safe is a 23 year old spare tire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nyati

Car
R129
The spare tire in my 91 500SL is 23 years old and has never been mounted.

It still looks brand new. I know the shelf life for selling new tires is 6 years.
Should I worry about delaminating or is it still ok to use if necessary? It's a Pirelli P6 if that matters. (I know new Pirelli's in F1 delaminate after 1 lap:thumb:)

If it was in the trunk,I would change it,you never know what the Elephant
has done to it.:D

Is it worth the risk? I'd change it just in case.

The trouble is, you just don't know how long it will last, it might well get you out of trouble but it could go bang the first time it gets a bit of heat in it. Not worth the hassle for the price of one tyre!

On the other hand...you haven't needed it for the first 23 years...I'd go for another 23 then look again.:eek:

Its been kept in the dry with no ultra violet contact, so if it looks ok it probably is, and how often are you going to be using it?

On the other hand...you haven't needed it for the first 23 years...I'd go for another 23 then look again.:eek:

I'm kinda leaning this way. It still has the mold knobs on it. Might be worth $2 in another 23 years:D

I'm thinking if it's aired up and if I had to use it then I'd drive slow and replace it after that. Everything is original - the jack, tire, toolkit, first aid kit - I'd hate to change that unless necessary.

Tyre Ageing

All tyres undergo an "ageing process" due to exposure to the environment even if they have never been used or have only been used occasionally
This phenomenon is caused by a number of factors including: the process of aftercuring, whereby the tyre continues to vulcanise very slowly. This is caused by factors such as UV light, heat and movement and makes the tyre become stiffer and more brittle.
oxidation involving oxygen and ozone from the atmosphere causing hardening of the rubber and reduced elasticity
plasticisers drifting from the tread area to other parts of the tyre, resulting in increased hardness.
Tyre ageing can be minimised by proper storage in a cool, dry environment, away from direct sunlight and away from electric motors (such as air conditioning units) or other sources of ozone. Interestingly, tyres, which are infrequently used or not used at all, age and crack quicker than tyres, which are in regular use. For this reason tyre manufacturers tend to recommend including the spare tyre in any tyre rotation process.
How long before tyres become too old?

This is rather like asking "how long can a piece of food be kept before it goes off?" and therefore it is something on which the tyre manufacturers have some difficulty in agreeing. No expert can definitively say how long a tyre will last as a tyre's life depends on many factors such as the type of rubber compounds used, temperature, usage, humidity etc.
However, Bridgestone's website points out that many tyre companies offer manufacturing warranties on tyres for 5 years from the date of manufacture, which has resulted in many vehicle manufacturers advising against the use of tyres that are more than six years old.
In terms of tyres already fitted to vehicles the BRV advises a maximum age of 10 years for car tyres and 6 years for tyres fitted to caravans, trailers of other vehicles likely to be standing around for long periods.

I would not use the original spare tyre and replace it ASAP with a new tyre.

Maybe I'll just put a new tire on the wheel and keep the old tire for old times sake. Throw it in the attic.

AFAIK the 8-hole spare in my R129 is original ... must pull it out sometime and check the date code.

I'd only ever use it as a 'get me home in an emergency' since although the rolling radius is correct it's not the same width as either the front or back tyres on the car now (same applies to a modern 'space saver' of course).

might be worth more than two bucks, if you know someone with a less powerful car or could use it on a show car

AFAIK the 8-hole spare in my R129 is original ... must pull it out sometime and check the date code.

I'd only ever use it as a 'get me home in an emergency' since although the rolling radius is correct it's not the same width as either the front or back tyres on the car now (same applies to a modern 'space saver' of course).
Ditto with mine, and I think the spare in the SE is also the original, so 25 years.
This post has prompted me to change both as the cars are used daily.

That is EXACTLY the same boat I am in.

To put another perspective on things, all four (3 year old) tyres on our C Class have clearly visible cracking between the tread blocks. I took it to a main dealer (who had never seen the car before) to ask their opinion ... "no problem, they are completely safe" they said. I spoke to the engineer who inspected them and he said he would happily use them on his own car. Checking the last MOT (before we had the car) they were noted as an advisory then, but not a fail.

I was quite prepared to replace them all, but hard to justify after that. Still, I hope they wear out soon :)

Last edited:
Is it worth the risk? I'd change it just in case.

As above, and as Grober said.

For the cost of one tyre (or you could even get a second hand neweesh one off eBay)....

As Nyati said, I would get a new tyre and wheel, and keep the complete original fitment in the garage, to sell on with the car when the time comes.

Think about it... say you did have a puncture... would you really want to spoil the original look of the never-used-before spare tyre...? :D

Last edited:
My 1969 ce250 w114 coupe still has the original Michelin white wall spare . Knowledge from the previous owner (first owner) tells me he has never had a puncture. The way the restoration is going l thing l can go another 40 odd years with out it ever been used.

Would you use a 23 year old Durex, been in wallet, not exposed to sunlight. I dont think so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom