How safe is your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartK

MB Enthusiast
Car
F82 M4
8PM on C4

Miss it - miss out

No German marques yet. Mmmmmmm.

Hyundai is interesting. Cheap for a reason then.

Don't like the look of Jeeps
What's really extraordinary is that it's so similar to the Pinto issue that Ford nearly went bust over in the 1970's.

Absolutely awful!

Disgusting cover up no wonder Chrysler have pulled out of the U.K. I bet that cost them millions.

And bear in mind that the Jeeps sold some years ago which were subject to the safety recall, were made when Chrysler were in bed with MB.

Just sayin' ;)

And bear in mind that the Jeeps sold some years ago which were subject to the safety recall, were made when Chrysler were in bed with MB.

Just sayin' ;)

MB have a lot to answer for about their steel. Rust. Funnily enough I was searching eBay earlier for old SL's and the amount of fire damaged ones was scary!

Interesting programming. Some of the 25% head on tests were quite scary, I wonder how many other VW cars they tried before the polo!?

Interesting programming. Some of the 25% head on tests were quite scary, I wonder how many other VW cars they tried before the polo!?

Yeah so what they basically said was if your going to hit head on then make sure it's head on!

What's really extraordinary is that it's so similar to the Pinto issue that Ford nearly went bust over in the 1970's.

Indeed, an extraordinary situation.

Knowing the Pinto problems you think people would have steered clear...it's not as if the tank is hiding...it's so in your face and obvious.

As for the girl near the start of the programme who'd lost her arm, that was on the motorway near where we live. Her reason why she had the accident was a classic case of driving too fast for the conditions. I recall the local news report about her accident saying the driving conditions were treacherous due to torrential rain.
I can understand her wanting a very safe car after the event, but maybe she should also understand that a lot of accidents due to aquaplaning are preventable if only people would drive to suit the prevailing conditions.
It's all very well having a car that protects you in an accident but, personally, I'd rather avoid any accident in the first place. Too many folk are unaware of how near the edge they are driving in some conditions.

Last edited:
MB have a lot to answer for about their steel. Rust. Funnily enough I was searching eBay earlier for old SL's and the amount of fire damaged ones was scary!

You would not believe how many Fires are caused by dodgy Chinese electrical items like chargers being left in the car.

Indeed, an extraordinary situation.
It's so odd on two levels:
  1. The Pinto case demonstrated the vulnerability of rear-mounted, unprotected fuel tanks and the propensity for fire in a collision
  2. The resulting court cases demonstrated the likely financial consequences to a manufacturer who is aware of such a design fault but chooses to ignore it
Completely baffling :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom