how sealed is the boot on a w124?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DriftworksJames

Car
2008 S500 w221
I'm putting a small sub into the boot of my w124 260E to fill the sound out properly, but I'm concerned the boot might be too well sealed from the rest of the cabin.
Never had this problem on a car before :)
I'm worried that the air movement from the sub will be transferred through to the shelf speakers and make them sound crap.
Is there another port through to the cabin from the boot I can make/enlargen? or should I just remove the rear shelf speakers?

James, i have a small (8") sub in the boot of my car (w124 ce) in a sealed enclosure, i was worried about the same thing when i installed it ......

Basically it depends on whether you are a bass fiend or not, i find that mine adds just the right amount of thump to the music at all levels. Ok ,you aren't going to blow any windows out or win SPL events but it really depends on what you are looking for .

I have had no problem with my rear speakers sounding poor (kicker 5 1/4 inch, on special spacers to make them fit ;) )

A friend of mine is a bit more of a bass head and has installed a port under the flap on the rear shelf of his w124 where the first aid kit is supposed to live, it involves cutting a hole through the shelf and the metal below, so if you are looking to keep the car 'standard' then this idea might not be for you although it is hidden under the flap at all times.

But in answer to your question, on my CE , the fuel tank lives behind the rear seat, so the boot is pretty much sealed, hence my mate cutting the port in his shelf ,not sure if the saloons are the same as this but would imagine so.

HTH

H

cheers H,
I'm not looking for soundoff style earth shaking bass, just a more rounded sound with a bit more depth. I'm going for a single 10" so I'll leave it as it and see how I get on.
After running the power wires earlier todaym, there are actually a few holes through from boot to cabin behind the rear seats which should be adequate.
thanks,
James

Hi James,

You are correct to be a little concerned, as the subwoofer will create changes in air pressure (ie the spl), which will invariably cause the rear speakers to be forced about!

You might get away with it on a lower scale, but the potential is there for problems. Depending on your budget, why not upgrade your front speakers, and do away with the rears?

I suppose you may as well experiment first - you have nothing much to lose?!?

Cheers,

Will

DriftworksJames said:
cheers H,
I'm not looking for soundoff style earth shaking bass, just a more rounded sound with a bit more depth. I'm going for a single 10" so I'll leave it as it and see how I get on.
After running the power wires earlier todaym, there are actually a few holes through from boot to cabin behind the rear seats which should be adequate.
thanks,
James

Getting those power lines through behind the back seat is fun isn't it !!

Howard said:
Getting those power lines through behind the back seat is fun isn't it !!

Not so bad when you have done it before - as they say, "Easy when you know how!" ;) :rolleyes:

Cheers, :)

Will

Will said:
Not so bad when you have done it before - as they say, "Easy when you know how!" ;) :rolleyes:

Cheers, :)

Will

How true, i would do it in no time now, but that first time took half a day.

You always remember your first time ....... ;)

I put the power line in yesterday in the work carpark during my lunch.
Took me half an hour :)
The sub and amp are going in today so I'll soon find out............
I already have upgraded front speakers and I only use the rears quietly for a bit of rear fill so I reckon I'll be ok.
thanks all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom