How Secure is my Vito?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arthur13

Car
Vito 109cdi 2007
Iv recently bought a 57plate Vito to use as a builders van, iv got a few grands worth a kit in the back and recently heard about a few van break ins in and around where i live!

I am very worried about the safely of my tools, I remember a plumber telling me he had his Vito broken into and he said they got in very easily!

I know iv got a few options in mind...

Thule Van.Shed.Door Security lock From Thule Van Guard Main Dealer New Boxed | eBay

Armaplate Guardian Lock Guard for Mercedes Vito W639 (03-14) | 4dr Kit! | eBay

What other options is there and whats best? i like the look of the lock guards, plus i can fit it them myself but surly as there only stuck on they can't be that safe? just a deterrent?

Thanks

What about one of those strongboxes bolted or even welded into the van ?

I know they might restrict load capacity but probably the best security for expensive tools which are your livelihood ?

The locks on Mercedes vans are a doddle to pop, embarrassingly so.

A few of my pals put false floors in with a blank where the doors are so you can't really tell but these were just high enough to take the width of a cordless drill box (if you know what I mean)

Mine has a false floor and i am thinking about doing something like you said on the side doors but they are useful to get things at the front of the van

yeh that is nice but what i really need is a way to stop people getting into the back..

As soon as you fit those door locks, you'll become a target because you're advertising, in a backhanded way, that you're carrying something of value.

I agree with you SPX, i was thinking this just the other day! maybe an alarm would be my best bet?

Armaplate door lock protectors.
I used to sell Vito/sprinters and I never saw/or heard of a van getting broken into when they'd been fitted.

I'm self employed now with tools in the back of my Sprinter (which is fitted with armaplates)

Get the bolted on ones! They have local agents that will come out to you to fit.

Armarplate lock protectors are the best thing you can fit, but use the proper bolted on ones. You can still fit them yourself, though I did find the sliding side doors a little awkward to get the inner plate where I needed it.

Arthur, just buy a couple of these and stick them on. That way, thieves, druggies and nutters will read it and just look for another van without the stickers. :D

I'm not making light of your thread. I also have a van full of nice tools. Luckily we live in a low risk place. But occasionally when working in certain parts of Carlisle & Dumfries I do worry.

Also lucky enough to be able to pop the van in the garage every night.

Shame the 'Van Vault' isn't big enough for you. They're great things. Although they're so heavy you'd defo need the remap you're talking about. :crazy:

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom