How serious is Mercedes C class subframe failure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi , I purchased a new FIAT 131 Supermifori in 1978.

Car scrapped in 1981 , totally rotten.

Concerned that my C207 could go the same way being scrapped after 5 years
Hiya,
As Markjay asked: what was the reason that caused you to have it inspected in that way?
My question is not academic as my ancient C220 Cdi Sport has started making worrying/clunking noises from the rear suspension area.
Tks

Hi , I purchased a new FIAT 131 Supermifori in 1978.

Car scrapped in 1981 , totally rotten.

Concerned that my C207 could go the same way being scrapped after 5 years
Is the C207 the first car you’ve had since the Supermirafiori? If you’ve had any others how have they faired with the tinworm?

I don`t think it`s just a rust problem. I`ve seen W204 rear subframes with control arm mounting lugs broken off.
Well from whats been posted,it seems that there is some question about the quality of the material that the sub frames are made of and the fact they are shaped and have holes that allow water to lay and get inside has caused failure in only a few years,MB seem to be replacing them free of charge,on some cars,I agree with posters it does not seem right that cars have rotted like this ,I thought we had left that all behind us since late 90's

Does the known subframe issue with the c-class also affect the e-class? I was hoping not as I changed my mind about getting a c-class coupe due to the subframe issue and started looking at the e-class coupe.

Does the known subframe issue with the c-class also affect the e-class? I was hoping not as I changed my mind about getting a c-class coupe due to the subframe issue and started looking at the e-class coupe.

It depend on the model year.

The cars marketed by MB as E-Class Coupe and E-Class Cabriolet between 2009 and 2017, were in fact based on the C-Class floorpan and suspension.

From 2018 onwards, the E-Class coupe is no longer based on the C-Class.

I had my W204 serviced at MB earlier this month, and I asked the service manager about the rear subframe. He offered to have their MOT tester check the rear subframe on my car (which was kind of him, given that the car wasn't having an MOT with the service). The conclusion was that the MOT tester could not see a problem. I am aware that the rear subframe can rust from the inside out, but at the same time I can't do more than ask MB to check it every year, and hope for the best... At least, the service is in December, while the MOT is in July, so the car's suspension gets checked twice a year :thumb:

As commented earlier in this thread.

A friend of mine took his 2014 E Class Coupe for MOT in Late October.

It failed due a corroded and structurally unsound rear subframe. The E Class Coupe is based on the C Class chassis.

TThere are also examples of this affecting the W212 E Class and some SLK models.

Well reading the problems with the rear subframes you get the feeling that MB bought subframes from a different supplier at certain times in the production run,because we are getting cars driven in the uk with the same mileage having a rotten subframe and others being perfectly ok,if I owned one of the effected cars I would get it checked for peace of mind,as it is all we have is the jolly old MOT to point it out and from posts on here even that has failed to notice the rot.

It depend on the model year.

The cars marketed by MB as E-Class Coupe and E-Class Cabriolet between 2009 and 2017, were in fact based on the C-Class floorpan and suspension.

From 2018 onwards, the E-Class coupe is no longer based on the C-Class.
Ah right. Interesting. If I wish to proceed with an e-class coupe then either pre 2009 or post 2018! Thank you for the info. 😊

Ah right. Interesting. If I wish to proceed with an e-class coupe then either pre 2009 or post 2018! Thank you for the info. 😊

Just be aware that pre-2009, the CLK (A/C208) was based on the then-C-Class (W203).

Just be aware that pre-2009, the CLK (A/C208) was based on the then-C-Class (W203).
I think, without throwing the baby out with the bath water, I’m aware of the issue and would get a thorough check of the subframe/paperwork before proceeding with any purchase.

Well reading the problems with the rear subframes you get the feeling that MB bought subframes from a different supplier at certain times in the production run,because we are getting cars driven in the uk with the same mileage having a rotten subframe and others being perfectly ok,if I owned one of the effected cars I would get it checked for peace of mind,as it is all we have is the jolly old MOT to point it out and from posts on here even that has failed to notice the rot.

Like many of MB's built in problems I think this has to be the explanation otherwise there would be hundreds of thousands of subframe failures reported by now. Sales figures for the original W204 exceeded 1 million by 2010 alone, all of which will now be between 10 years and 12 years old. I asked my MOT tester about the subframes and he had yet to see one cause an MOT failure.

Perhaps this is wishful thinking but the evidence suggests the same applies to other known W204 faults. Mine is over 12 years old and I have not yet experienced steering lock, door opening mechanism, rear light earthing, subframe or last but not least, cam chain or sprocket failure.

Our 2005 R171 SLK recently failed its MOT because of a rotten rear subframe. It had been serviced and MOTd 1 year previously with no comments on subframe corrosion. MB have agreed to fund the repairs. The only problem being its likely to be mid January before the part is available. Currently in an E-220d coupe courtesy car until its fixed. Chatting to the service manager at our local dealer W204 subframe failures are common and goodwill repairs are pretty much a given. R171 and some E-class models also have problems but not as many as the 204. Most get goodwill repairs apparently. The new parts are allegedly different so hopefully the issue will not recur. No matter how old your C, E or SLK is, if the subframe rots its well worth a firm but polite conversation with your local dealer. Full MB service history is not required but they will want to check it has not been neglected. Do not scrap it until you have tried MB. You may be surprised

Just to update this. Its back. Repaired free of charge and with a complimentary MOT. Six weeks exactly since it was transported to the local MB dealer. Got there in the end!
Great to hear.

Sorry, Merc didn’t ask me when I spent £34k about the prevailing driving conditions I’d encounter. My subframe was scrapped after 60k miles so it probably went downhill at 40k.
Mercedes give a 30:year corrosion warranty for cars in Europe! They have done since about 1968! They did this because, in their words, Mercedes are so well made! I am in the process of contacting various agencies and the press asked for a general notification and/ or recall!

mobair36. You believe that you will believe anything ! Just about every time the subframe rot issue pops up MB either deny it or say the anti corrosion warranty does not cover it . Then confusingly some dealers just fit a new sub frame for free no questions asked.

Mainly a W204 C class issue , but other models are also suffering.

This rotting subframe issue is growing by the week as more people become aware of it and (obviously) as the cars get older.

Welcome . by the way.

mobair36. You believe that you will believe anything ! Just about every time the subframe rot issue pops up MB either deny it or say the anti corrosion warranty does not cover it . Then confusingly some dealers just fit a new sub frame for free no questions asked.

Mainly a W204 C class issue , but other models are also suffering.

This rotting subframe issue is growing by the week as more people become aware of it and (obviously) as the cars get older.

Welcome . by the way.
Petrol Pete, I was quoting what MB said when they issued the warranty! I am fully aware of the situation, but I'm aiming to write to various agencies as noted, and the press where I have contacts!! I had mine done for free, but I am seriously annoyed that I could have had a very serious accident at 70mph as I was totally unaware of the problem despite being on MB contact list having bought the car from my local main dealer! But before I did anything I contacted MB, who denied there was a problem! I have now informed them that not only is there a problem, but I know that THEY KNOW full well there is one! That is shocking! Obviously, they are also aware of the potential cost, but that frankly is their problem! I have not had a reply to my last letter, so I will shortly be writing a heavy letter as mentioned above! Their lack of action is frankly criminal in my opinion! Watch this space!

You have more hope of knitting fog than getting anywhere with that with cars of that age......sorry but that's how I see it. If you look in the small print most rust warranties are for the painted shell only (so the largely galvanised parts that wont rust anyway) and even then have to rust completely through from the inside. I sold new cars for 17 years.....none of the corrosion warrantees I dealt with would have covered corrosion on subframes and the like which are mostly not even primed let alone galvanised!.....just a thin coat of chassis black at best.

I can't remember where I saw it (on here ?) but allegedly MB have a LOT of new w204 subframes in stock (all of a sudden it is alleged) . Not quite the bulky part that you would want hanging around sitting on the books and gathering dust . Unless you knew that you would be needing a whole bunch of them soon.

Not sure how to verify that 'story' though ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom