How Simple to change brake pads/discs on a W211

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by barneybeardsall, Aug 14, 2006.

1. barneybeardsall

barneybeardsall Active Member

Car:
    C220CDi Exec SE Saloon.
    Hi All,
    I've done a few brake pad/disc changes over the period of the last few years on my other cars... but none had SBC... or ABS.... and I wonder how easy is it to change the pads/discs on a W211 E220CDi as the stealer wants over 600quid to fit them for me....
    They have also advised me to change the brake and gearbox fluid as well for another 300quid...

Barney

2. Satch

Satch MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
    Off you go:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=23743&highlight=w211+brake+pads

Brake fluid has a two year life in theory as the SBC system is supposed to be quite hard on it. But then Toyota want to change the fluid in my Land Cruiser every two years as well.

As for the gearbox fluid change, well now, not so long ago MB were spouting "sealed for life" nonsense which really was stupid. I would go for the fluid change unless you have done low miles.

3. w124coupe

w124coupe Active Member

Doesn't really matter about how hard or oherwise the system is on the fluid.

All conventional brake fluid (DOT3/4/5.1) has a 2 year replacement requirement - its hygroscopic and so absorbs water from the air past seals and breathers which reduces its boiling point (a tiny amount of water lowers the boiling point by as much as 1/3). This absorbtion is needed to prevent water build up because of rust or localised boiling - expect any brake component warranty claim to be rejected with >2 year old fluid.

If the watered down fluid boils then the bubbles can be compressed and the pedal travel is used up with no braking action.

4. Voltan

Voltan Member

Car:
    W211 E220CDi, W220 S320CDi

I just had my E220 CDi front pads changed by a well equiped Merc workshop. Had a close look of the job from start to end. Very easy if you are accessible to a Star Diagnostic computer to disarm the SBC 1st and to rearm after the new installation. The in-between is plain sailing like any other simple brake pad changes. Total time including a test trive- just over 45 minutes for 1 mechanic. Cost me 9quid. On the expensive side here in Malaysia. A smaller workshop normally charges 5.75quid for similar jobs.

5. scouseman

scouseman New Member

Car:
    w212 E350 AMG estate
    I changed the pads and front disks on my e270, took about 2 and a half hours in total but follow the guide on disabling and re-enabling the pressure brake system, I found a useful guide on one of the US forums, e320 I think. Cost of the parts from a MB dealer was about £200 inc VAT. No special tools needed.

I'll probably pass on the fluid change though, it sounds more difficult and like others on here I was quoted £180 by the dealer to have this done..feels a lot but then I want the brakes to work!

Cheers Keith