HOW TO - 202 C-Class OEM Xenon Install

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alps

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E63s s213 2019, E55 2004 Silver-SOLD, E63 w212 Weistec AMG-SOLD, E55 2004-SOLD, C36 1997-SOLD
Just getting round to tidy up the pics I have and came across these so I thought Id do a quick write up. They have been in and working for the last 4 years, so apologies if Its not complete.

Firstly you need the light units, complete with the lens and relector. These are both different to the standard light unit lens and reflector and have "D2R" engraved on the lens.
stuff005.jpg

Then you need the ballast units, Original 202 ones were impossible to get hold of cheap, but after some help from mbenznl and mike-c200 and alot of research, found out that the Audi TT ones are the same, but have different connector plug, and the wire is shorter. Other than that exactly the same. Loads of these around on German Ebay.

stuff004.jpg

Found the MB plug part number (will need to dig this out) and changed the plug over.

stuff001.jpg

Next thing to sort out is the leveling. The OEM Xenons have an electronic auto levelling, I replaced this with the Vacuum leveling that mine already had.

For this you have to take the lens apart
stuff010.jpg

and tug at the leveller to pull it out
stuff008.jpg

then you will see the hole the leveller has to push into.
stuff009.jpg

you cant push it in without taking the lens off as you need to hold the lens from the front whilst pushing the leveller on.

stuff007.jpg

Next was to mount the ballast units, as the TT ones have shorter leads, you cannot mount them in the oem place which is under the bumper, so they were mounted in the engine bay, making sure they were safe from rain water.
stuff014.jpg

stuff016.jpg

heres a pic with 1 normal and 1 xenon

stuff013.jpg

Best mod I ever did, driving with the xenons is another world!

mods might want to move this into the how to section?

Last edited:
No offence Alps but we really need a complete HOWTO for this, including all the screws, bits of trim etc.

If someone takes a headlamp off we need all the pics for it, we can blend that with your instructions and my previous thread about the same subject plus my future OEM fitment of the factory ballasts (at 124works) to make a complete story.

We'll get there in the end though! :)

Just talking about it makes me want to take my headlamps off and document but it's absolutely chucking it down atm... ;)

A202 820 33 61 Left Xenon lamp right side traffic (code 612)
A202 820 34 61 Right Xenon lamp, right side traffic

A202 820 35 61 Left Xenon lamp, left side traffic (code 617)
A202 820 36 61 Right Xenon lamp, right side traffic

Replacement lenses - if you bought the wrong side traffic lamps (i suspect the right side traffic lamps are easier to buy - I dont know if just the lenses are different but thought i'd list them)
A202 820 57 66 left lens, xenon, right side traffic
A202 820 58 66 ditto right
A202 820 59 66 left lens, xenon, left side traffic
A202 820 60 66 ditto right

Ballasts:
A202 820 69 26 control unit left xenon lamp
A202 820 70 26 control unit right xenon lamp

Safety:
A129 817 28 20 - guide sign (i.e the high voltage warning sign)

R

Richard: Given the prices of these things it's almost cheaper to buy the Bosch kit for £600, break it up for spares and then sell what you don't need! The ballasts are about £250 each for a start! :)

LOVE the mod... then I decided to look at the price of replicating it....
Just adding prices to Richard's numbers, from Inchcape...

A202 820 33 61 Left Xenon lamp right side traffic (code 612) (£813.46)
A202 820 34 61 Right Xenon lamp, right side traffic (not found)

A202 820 35 61 Left Xenon lamp, left side traffic (code 617) (£752.94)
A202 820 36 61 Right Xenon lamp, right side traffic (£795.62)

Replacement lenses - if you bought the wrong side traffic lamps (i suspect the right side traffic lamps are easier to buy - I dont know if just the lenses are different but thought i'd list them)
A202 820 57 66 left lens, xenon, right side traffic (£72.44)
A202 820 58 66 ditto right (£72.44)
A202 820 59 66 left lens, xenon, left side traffic (£72.44)
A202 820 60 66 ditto right (£72.44)

Ballasts:
A202 820 69 26 control unit left xenon lamp (£415.95)
A202 820 70 26 control unit right xenon lamp (£415.95)

Safety:
A129 817 28 20 - guide sign (i.e the high voltage warning sign) (£0.99)

I think I'll buy the sticker :p
Michele

Safety:
A129 817 28 20 - guide sign (i.e the high voltage warning sign) (£0.99)

I think I'll buy the sticker :p
Michele
Here it is:

Attachments

• boschhid04.jpg
    boschhid04.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 164
Nick,

ABS Rochdale can't locate the xenons with the part number you gave me. I dunno where else to try and get a price for them as I would like to do this mod but I understand it would require some money to be saved. They keep saying they're gonna ring Bosch with the numbers but I don't get a call back from them.

No offence Alps but we really need a complete HOWTO for this, including all the screws, bits of trim etc.

If someone takes a headlamp off we need all the pics for it, we can blend that with your instructions and my previous thread about the same subject plus my future OEM fitment of the factory ballasts (at 124works) to make a complete story.

We'll get there in the end though! :)

Just talking about it makes me want to take my headlamps off and document but it's absolutely chucking it down atm... ;)

no offense taken, its better than nothing and getting the actual headlights out was the easy bit! more than welcome to use the thread to add and improve... its just the start

ABS Rochdale can't locate the xenons with the part number you gave me. I dunno where else to try and get a price for them as I would like to do this mod but I understand it would require some money to be saved. They keep saying they're gonna ring Bosch with the numbers but I don't get a call back from them.
I hope that Bosch hasn't withdrawn them, that would be a shame.

At home I have the phone number for Bosch Technical and the name of the chap that authorised the headlamp kit to be sold in the UK, I'll look it up and let you know.

Richard: Given the prices of these things it's almost cheaper to buy the Bosch kit for £600, break it up for spares and then sell what you don't need! The ballasts are about £250 each for a start! :)

Its worse than that ! mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk £415.95 each ...

[edit]Just thought i'd post the correct part numbers since I had the numbers available[/edit]

R

i would search the breakers as there are probably more c43`s and facelift c-classes in them than there was when i was initially looking 4 years back, th eproblem is the MB breakers also seem to know what the lights are worth.

I hope that Bosch hasn't withdrawn them, that would be a shame.

At home I have the phone number for Bosch Technical and the name of the chap that authorised the headlamp kit to be sold in the UK, I'll look it up and let you know.

I rang ABS Rochdale with the part number you gave me and they have given me a price of £530, however the guy 'thinks' its not for the pair, but for one.

I rang ABS Rochdale with the part number you gave me and they have given me a price of £530, however the guy 'thinks' its not for the pair, but for one.
I ordered the kit with the same part number and a gigantic box arrived with all the required bits! £530 sounds like a bargain to me! :)

Evening all... So I know this is a VERY old thread... However, I've snapped up some OEM xenons tonight from ebay for my beloved W202, I'll be doing the conversion (well, asking Wayne Gates MB to do it lol), I know photobucket have kicked the bucket regarding their links... So I know this is slim, But, Does anyone have the images from this thread? Shude? Alps?

Cheers!

Hi,
I fitted OEM Xenons to my C43, the biggest issue you will have will be the wiring looms for the headlamp wash/wipe and the wiring loom for the levelling being no longer available.
The whole retro fit of Xenon lights and headlamp wash/wipe was recognised by MB and is covered in WIS Documents, though these documents may of disappeared in the newer versions of WIS.
If you want them drop me a PM

Im sure I still have the pics somewhere at home, will try and update them on here.

If you have the original ballast units they go under the wheelarch protector, the TT ones have shorter wires, you can extend of install them in the enginebay somewhere.

one of the most worthwhile upgrades on the w202.

Hi,
I fitted OEM Xenons to my C43, the biggest issue you will have will be the wiring looms for the headlamp wash/wipe and the wiring loom for the levelling being no longer available.
The whole retro fit of Xenon lights and headlamp wash/wipe was recognised by MB and is covered in WIS Documents, though these documents may of disappeared in the newer versions of WIS.
If you want them drop me a PM

That would be superb mate, would be much appreciated! I have the looms available as I've collect all the parts over time and now that I have the lamps including bulbs and ballasts themselves I'm going to fit them once I have them here... :)

Im sure I still have the pics somewhere at home, will try and update them on here.

If you have the original ballast units they go under the wheelarch protector, the TT ones have shorter wires, you can extend of install them in the enginebay somewhere.

one of the most worthwhile upgrades on the w202.

Thank you! Most definitely a worth while upgrade, my W202 is a long term motor and most of my driving is done in darkness due to my shifts. Whilst I understand they'll be aesthetically pleasing, I'm mainly after the benefits of the brighter light and I won't be dazzling anyone.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom