HOW TO : Add a boot spoiler to a C Class Coupé C204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garycat

Car
2014 C Class 220CDI Coupe
Here's how to add a boot spoiler to a 2014 C Class Coupe (C204) but the instructions would apply to most types.

The spoiler was sourced from ebay, and I found one already painted in the same colour code as my car for £78 inc free P&P. It arrived about a week after ordering, and a few days after that I got an invoice for customs charges of £24.70 from FedEx.

Painted Trunk Spoiler For Mercedes Benz C-Class C204 2D Coupe A Type 11-14 #775 | eBay

The ebay seller was "dtmod01uk" and the spoiler was from a manufacturer called "ikon motorsport". The quality and finish was excellent, a perfect match to my paint (code #775) and it was a perfect fit to the edge of the boot.

It was supplied with a roll of 9mm 3m VHB tape, but this looked a bit thin for the job so I got come 19mm 3m VHB tape instead.

Contents

contents.jpg

Unwrapped

unwrapped.jpg

After reading a guides and watching youtube videos I assembled a collection of bits an pieces for the installation.

1. 3M 19mm x 3m VHB tape. ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EDLV24U/?tag=amazon0e9db-21 )
2. 3M Adhesion Promoter. This helps the VHB tape to stick to plastic parts ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G2BHLG6/?tag=amazon0e9db-21 )
3. Isoclene spray. Isopropanol alcohol cleaning fluid to remove any mold releasing agent from the spoiler and wax from the car boot ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WGTZ6M/?tag=amazon0e9db-21 )
4. Masking tape
5. Microfibe cloths

So, first of all I thoroughly cleaned both the boot lip area and the underside of the spoiler with detergent and then the Isoclene.

Marking up consisted of centring the spoiler on the boot and laying the masking tape at the corners, exactly where the part should fit, so there is no need for adjustment once the adhesive was on.

line_up.jpg

Then I applied the 3M Adhesion Promoter to the underside of the spoiler and left it for about 2 minutes to dry. Only one of the 5 sachets supplied were required.

I carefully unrolled the 3M VHB tape on to the spoiler. I say "carefully" as once it is on, it is very difficult to remove.

apply_tape.jpg

The red tape layer is then peeled back about 5cm from one end, and the other, non-sticky end of the spoiler is offered up to the boot and held in place while the sticky end is carefully moved into position up to the masking tape corner. It helps to get a mate to assist with this, and you can add a few strips of masking tape to hold the part in position along the length.

The tape is then slowly removed by pulling it away from the part.

remove_tape.jpg

Once all the red tape has been removed, pressure is applied to for a few seconds to ensure a good seal.

The finished article

finished.jpg

Thanks, what a nice simple write up! I've just received my 212 spoiler for my 63 yesterday - it comes as you say with thin tape and instructions/one of the guys on the other side used those and has had good results but I'm picky as I think you are so I'll be following your lead- just waiting for the other bits from Amazon now and provided it doesnt get too cold (I've no garage to work in) I'll have it fitted this weekend. I've already placed it loose on the boot and checked the paint match and it looks great!

It was supplied with a roll of 9mm 3m VHB tape, but this looked a bit thin for the job so I got come 19mm 3m VHB tape instead.

finished.jpg

I think 9mm wide would be more than strong enough that VHB is seriously strong.

I want to put a spoiler on mine but do not like the gap between the boot and the spoiler (caused by the thickness of the tape - another place for dirt to collect) that I see on the AMGs that I have looked at.

I think 9mm wide would be more than strong enough that VHB is seriously strong.

I want to put a spoiler on mine but do not like the gap between the boot and the spoiler (caused by the thickness of the tape - another place for dirt to collect) that I see on the AMGs that I have looked at.

The spoiler I bought had a small lip on the underside, so the tape was almost flush, but having said that the dirt and moisture did get under the corners and caused them to lift so I used some body kit adhesive to secure it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom