HOW TO: change the automatic gerbox oil and flush on a 722.6 'box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Re-fit the dipstick cap and then road test.

Tools used.
DSCF5004.jpg

The part number for the sump pan gasket is: A1402710080

Part numbers.

Just remember safety is first. Wear gloves and be carefult as the oil is HOT. It will blister your skin.

The V6's and V8's are the cars most likely to have seized sump pan bolts as the exhaust runs close to the 'box.

Also this should only be done if you have the right tools and you have the right experiance and confidence. A Star or other diag equipment is really a must to get the temp 100% perfect.

Oh and thanks for the lend of the 210.

Hi. Would you happen to know the ATF dipstick length (only actual insertion part) needed for a 1999 C200 W202 T model please. Also the min/max Mark distances from end. I really need to figure out if needs topping up Today/Tomorrow as have really Long journey to do Friday and not enough time to receive Ordered proper dipstick.
Regards
MARK

Hi. Would you happen to know the ATF dipstick length (only actual insertion part) needed for a 1999 C200 W202 T model please. Also the min/max Mark distances from end. I really need to figure out if needs topping up Today/Tomorrow as have really Long journey to do Friday and not enough time to receive Ordered proper dipstick.
Regards
MARK
Hi Mark. This is the dipstick I use in my 2010 E class ,it has the 722.6 Transmission, so should be the same. Bear in mind that the ATF in the 722.6 trans has to be at 80c, and the car sitting 100% level when its being checked. You can see the black diamond ( arrowed )on my dipstick and this is the stopping point for the dipstick, the other end can be hanging way outside the dipstick tube, but that wont matter, as long as its long enough to reach well into the tube. In the 2nd pic, the total measurable length of dipstick needed. Sorry for the background to the pics....they were taken in a hurry!!!

Attachments

• MB Dipstick  Black Diamond Stop and with tape measure.jpg
    MB Dipstick Black Diamond Stop and with tape measure.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 722.6 Dipstick Total Length 20201210_103427[3328].jpg
    722.6 Dipstick Total Length 20201210_103427[3328].jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 17
Just remember safety is first. Wear gloves and be carefult as the oil is HOT. It will blister your skin.

The V6's and V8's are the cars most likely to have seized sump pan bolts as the exhaust runs close to the 'box.

Also this should only be done if you have the right tools and you have the right experiance and confidence. A Star or other diag equipment is really a must to get the temp 100% perfect.

Oh and thanks for the lend of the 210.

Hi Mark. This is the dipstick I use in my 2010 E class ,it has the 722.6 Transmission, so should be the same. Bear in mind that the ATF in the 722.6 trans has to be at 80c, and the car sitting 100% level when its being checked. You can see the black diamond ( arrowed )on my dipstick and this is the stopping point for the dipstick, the other end can be hanging way outside the dipstick tube, but that wont matter, as long as its long enough to reach well into the tube. In the 2nd pic, the total measurable length of dipstick needed. Sorry for the background to the pics....they were taken in a hurry!!!
Awww Thanks so so much...
Absolutely brilliant. Your a STAR M8Y.
Regards
Mark

Awww Thanks so so much...
Absolutely brilliant. Your a STAR M8Y.
Regards
Mark
Welcome, hope that it goes OK for you. Any question's just ask. Blackc55 made a few good points there as well...regarding proper temp, I use my iCarsoft OBD reader to make sure that the temp is 100% correct.

Connect the Star and bring up the gearbox temp.

DSCF4993.jpg

Fill up the gearbox with another 3L of fluid. Put the Car in "D" with the parking brake on and allow to warm up. It can take a while! 80C is the temp to check the oil at.
DSCF4991.jpg

Dip the sump with the dipstick with the gearbox in "N" or "P".

DSCF4994.jpg

DSCF5000.jpg

The highest level is the 80c one. It must be up there for the level to be correct.
You may need to top it up. You will need between 6-7L in total. Just add a small amount at a time.

Re-set the gearbox adaptations with the Star too. This will help you get smooth gear changes.
Thank you.

Connect the Star and bring up the gearbox temp.

DSCF4993.jpg

Fill up the gearbox with another 3L of fluid. Put the Car in "D" with the parking brake on and allow to warm up. It can take a while! 80C is the temp to check the oil at.
DSCF4991.jpg

Dip the sump with the dipstick with the gearbox in "N" or "P".

DSCF4994.jpg

DSCF5000.jpg

The highest level is the 80c one. It must be up there for the level to be correct.
You may need to top it up. You will need between 6-7L in total. Just add a small amount at a time.

Re-set the gearbox adaptations with the Star too. This will help you get smooth gear changes.
Hello
is 80 deg the top mark?
I checked mine after a 10 Mike run and went through the sequence and checked in N with engine running.
its on the bottom marks. Should it be the top marks?
thank you.

Hello
is 80 deg the top mark?
I checked mine after a 10 Mike run and went through the sequence and checked in N with engine running.
its on the bottom marks. Should it be the top marks?
thank you.
80 is the top mark , I doubt 10 minutes is long enough , try again at 20-25 mins

As W1ghty has said you need to run the car for longer than 10 mins,if you or others want to check or change the oil in MB gearboxes I would buy a cheap heat sensor gun,around £14 gets you one on ebay,for me I would rather pay Ollie at Prestige or my local guy to do the job.

As W1ghty has said you need to run the car for longer than 10 mins,if you or others want to check or change the oil in MB gearboxes I would buy a cheap heat sensor gun,around £14 gets you one on ebay,for me I would rather pay Ollie at Prestige or my local guy to do the job.
Just beware that an infra red temperature gun, will always read a few degrees less than the actual fluid temperature.. and the correct Temp is critical when checking the fluid level. Personally, I use the iCarsoft OBD reader which is far more accurate.

so i started doing this DIY job ;-) thanks
Just a few basics to remember.....Cleanliness is essential, and under no circumstances, use any cloth ./ fabrics that contain microfibers,,,,,they are death to auto transmissions. Collect each and every drop of fluid that drains out, and when it comes to refilling it, that's the minimum of new fluid that should go back in. Goes without saying that the car should be 100% level, length and width. Good Luck, and if you need help, just shout out, OK?

Just bought a infra red heat gun,but I still leave gearbox atf for my local mechanic,keeping the car level is very important and when you look at what they charge for a ATF change for me it makes sense for a expert to do it.

Just bought a infra red heat gun,but I still leave gearbox atf for my local mechanic,keeping the car level is very important and when you look at what they charge for a ATF change for me it makes sense for a expert to do it.
Very true buddy , but some of us like to challenge ourselves with car tinkering anyway ;)

Very true buddy , but some of us like to challenge ourselves with car tinkering anyway ;)
I like my hands to be bandage free and the car to run well,so my local mechanic gets most of the jobs,as winter approaches laying on cold concrete has little attraction for me,any time you need help just call I will hand you the spanners while I drink your coffee :rolleyes:

I like my hands to be bandage free and the car to run well,so my local mechanic gets most of the jobs,as winter approaches laying on cold concrete has little attraction for me,any time you need help just call I will hand you the spanners while I drink your coffee :rolleyes:
I hear ya buddy . It’s a summer job though , I’ve done each of my cars gearboxes at least twice so I’m a sucker for punishment .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom