how to check the automatic transmission fluid w202 1995

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lars-mad

Car
1996 c180 2.0 1995 C180 AMG 1988 190e 2.3 1989 230CE with facelift
Hello how do i check the atf fluid level on my c200? i suspect that the level is low

Your dipstick should have cold 30c and hot 80c " band "markings for levels. If in doubt measure level while hot [ drive about 10-15 miles to warm it up unless you can measure the gearbox fluid temperature with a thermocouple probe] the engine must be running when you do this and its a good idea to cycle the gear selector lever thro all positions to make sure the valve galleries are full. OVERFILLING CAN BE AS BAD AS UNDERFILLING!! Observe great cleanliness when doing this.

Attachments

• dipstick mrks3.JPG
    dipstick mrks3.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 208
Provided the gearbox fluid has had time to heat up- remember that engine temp readout can be temporarily high before the thermostat opens allowing hot water into the radiator / heat exchanger for the gear box to heat up the gearbox fluid --- hence the need to run the car for a few miles. Does appear to be low though. If it's the 4 speed all hydraulic box then fluid meeting Dexron 2 or 3 will be fine for a top up.

Yeppers, water heats up a lot faster than oil and the temp guage runs off the water in the rad rather than the oil in the engine/box so worth doing after a good trip out with the car ifling on the drive.

At least, that's what i did today after reading this thread! Amazed it actually has the dipstick. That said, oil less red in appearance than I thought it might be!

m.

Amazed it actually has the dipstick. That said, oil less red in appearance than I thought it might be!

m.

The older w202's had a gearbox dip stick. The newer ones don't but you can get a workshop dip stick cheap. If the ATF is not clean looking, it could be in for a flush and filter change

The older w202's had a gearbox dip stick. The newer ones don't but you can get a workshop dip stick cheap. If the ATF is not clean looking, it could be in for a flush and filter change

so should it be red then? Only auto I've had before was a Mitsubishi FTO. I did a ATF oil and filter change on that and the fluid was actually red...

m.

Should be a translucent reddish/ pink colour. If its opaque and a dark colour/ brown / black this usually signifies it needs changing asap.

the colour on mine was right but i had to fill 0,6liter to top it up now the level seems to be right at warm engine :)

i always thought the mercedes auto boxes were sealed for life.
just bought a 1998 c250 myself, as its 14 years old now and has 129thousand on the clock should i consider getting the gearbox oil changed ( auto box) do i have to get a merc dealer to do it or can any decent garage do it and is there a filter /seal kit i need
cheers guys

If you can find no evidence of it having been done, at very least you should have it checked. There is a filter and gasket that should be changed at the same time.

Olly did mine a couple of years ago. You'll be looking at about £200 at a good independent. MB dealers charge more.

i always thought the mercedes auto boxes were sealed for life.
just bought a 1998 c250 myself, as its 14 years old now and has 129thousand on the clock should i consider getting the gearbox oil changed ( auto box) do i have to get a merc dealer to do it or can any decent garage do it and is there a filter /seal kit i need
cheers guys

Wow, if it has never been changed, get a flush including the converter and a filter change. You will feel the difference I assure you :thumb:

My question is much the same. recently bought my c180 auto so i can drive to hospital appointments with a broken leg. i know enough about cars to carry out work myself but nothing about an auto. my merc changes at low revs when it is driven from cold, but now when the car has been driven a few hours before, and is then cold again it wont change into 3rd untill it goes all the way round to 3000rpm, then a bang into gear when it does go? once the car is warmed up all works perfect and smooth but is increasingly rough when the box is colder? is this normall ? also the box's dipstick is very hard to read and normally shows oil half way up the stick! :dk: thanks, chris

I think i read it is meant to hold the gears a bit when cold to warm up faster. don't quote me though!

The thumping change is the more concerning bit I think.

m.

Perhaps someone can give me a answer in relation to a comment in a post further up the thread?
I have a 2000 w202 C240. I recently had it serviced by a independent mobile mechanic. When I went to check the ATF level I found there was no dip stick so I bought one off Ebay from Poland. I dipped it this morning after it had been sat all night and the level was at maximum when cold. Now someone said it was just as bad to over fill it as under fill. What I want to know is what damage will or can it cause ? I have been driving it like this for 2 months with no problems and all gear changes are smooth.

Keith

Last edited:
Stoobzie said:
My question is much the same. recently bought my c180 auto so i can drive to hospital appointments with a broken leg. i know enough about cars to carry out work myself but nothing about an auto. my merc changes at low revs when it is driven from cold, but now when the car has been driven a few hours before, and is then cold again it wont change into 3rd untill it goes all the way round to 3000rpm, then a bang into gear when it does go? once the car is warmed up all works perfect and smooth but is increasingly rough when the box is colder? is this normall ? also the box's dipstick is very hard to read and normally shows oil half way up the stick! :dk: thanks, chris

Not sure if this is any help but I had heard automatics have a memory and retain your driving style and replicates the gear changes you make so if your prone to driving it hard it will change at higher revs and if you drive gentle it will eventually learn to change earlier, I've tried it with my c180 and it does seem if I drive it hard it won't want to change until at least 3000rpm not sure if there is a way of resetting the brain, possibly disconnecting the battery for an amount of time

Noting theres no gearbox oil dipstick in my 1999 C230 Kompressor, whats the best way to measure same or do I have to buy one, other options considered of course! Searched on google but not yet come across another way to do it yet.

P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom