How to Clean Chrome Window Surrounds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silversurfer10

Car
SLK
Hello everyone,

My car's chrome window surrounds are very dull and 'blotchy'. I tried using autosol to try and give them some lustre, but this did not work. I was wondering if anyone knew how best to try and get some of the shine back?

Many thanks in advance.

There was a thread about this a while ago, I’m not sure there was a resolution to be honest. Raceglaze do a product specifically for this but I keep forgetting to try it! Annoying as I recently bought their colour enhance for rubber and plastics which is brilliant.

Are they proper chromed metal or just shiny plastic as this might have a bearing on which cleaner to use/not use?

It is a thin chrome metal plating applied to a plastic strip, that is then lacquered.

The general consensus is that harsh traffic film removers/chemicals from cheap local car washers are responsible for damaging the micron thin chrome plating under the lacquer.

If it can't be improved (but never fixed) by something harsh like autosol (which is a metal polish, and remember you are polishing a painted surface, not metal), then the options are basically new chrome trim all round, or automotive vinyl wrapping in either chrome effect, black , or body colour.

I tried a few things that didn't work, including Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0.

Ultima Paint Prep Plus apparently worked for SarahAnn200, so i just bought some and will give it a go once it stops raining.

If that doesn't work, the options are either wrapping, or new strips.

(I also saw on eBay stick-on chrome stripes, but I'm concerned it will look nuff)

EDIT: just saw MrGreedy's post, I guess that Autosol is next on the list.....

I have used autosol on my driver's trim strip. It has improved it from moderate blotching, to a little less blotching. It was a lot of work, and it has definitely not cured it.

My body shop guy suggested giving it a go, not because the surface is metal, but because it's harsh, and the resultant invisible-to-the-eye lacquer damage might be enough to partially disguise the blotching.

I would be interested in vinyl wrapping as a home solution, as this could potentially be quite cost effective if the main cost becomes our own labour, and it's not so technical that we can't do it ourselves

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the race glaze stuff works. Like most I have tried most things from the box of detailing delights in the garage including Autosol. Nothing really touched it and it does look like the cloudiness is within the clear plastic coating somehow. If race glaze doesn’t make a difference I will probably just learn to live with it (10 year old car) as I don’t fancy wrapping it and replacement is too expensive.

Clay barred mine. Looked good for a week or so then the water marks/general milkyness came back thru.

Remember seeing this video a while back, are you sure they're not anodised aluminium?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This worked

Attachments

• IMG_0285[11601].jpg
    IMG_0285[11601].jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0284[11599].jpg
    IMG_0284[11599].jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 28
This must be pretty amazing stuff because you don’t get much for your £20 odd quid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom