How to connect MP3 player to C class radio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Kerr

Car
BMW 5 series / 1961 Jaguar E-Type
I have an '05 C class saloon with what ever is the standard radio for the car what I want to know is can I connect up my MP3 player without ripping the whole dash out.

Dave

I use an iTrip with my iPod and it's generally OK. Not as good as a direct fixed type link but not bad and no wires or ripping out of glove boxes or dash ;)

Pre-facelift 203 C Class's could be fitted with a jack socket in the glove box for accesories, not sure if it would be possible with the new style radio's. Worth a call to MB though.

2005+ C-classes come with an auxiliary input in the glove compartment. No matter what head unit they have in dash - meaning that it is not 'comand related'. :)

greetingz,

BigSis

BigSis said:
2005+ C-classes come with an auxiliary input in the glove compartment. No matter what head unit they have in dash - meaning that it is not 'comand related'. :)

greetingz,

BigSis

I'm afraid they don't. The standard radio does not, maybe the command does.

BigSis said:

greetingz,

BigSis

I read that in the manual but there is nothing in my glove box compartment, except loads of junk :D

What you will need is an auxilliary input kit which is basically a length of cable, one end has a stereo socket which fits into the glovebox where there is a knock out, the other a connector which plugs into the wiring in the loom under the passenger door frame / floor. You can get the kit at the merc dealer for around £15 (I believe)

It isn't a difficult job, takes about 20 minutes, but involves removing the trim off the door side of the glove box (clipped), the door frame kick plate and the A (?) pillar, taking care to remove the torx screw before unclipping this last panel.

You will find a socket connector tucked into the wiring loom under the trim at the bottom of the door frame.

A standard stereo cable with a jack at each end will connect your MP3 player to the socket in the glove box and you can activate via the CD changer button holding the button for a few seconds longer than normal.

Hope this is helpful.

exoil said:
What you will need is an auxilliary input kit which is basically a length of cable, one end has a stereo socket which fits into the glovebox where there is a knock out, the other a connector which plugs into the wiring in the loom under the passenger door frame / floor. You can get the kit at the merc dealer for around £15 (I believe)

It isn't a difficult job, takes about 20 minutes, but involves removing the trim off the door side of the glove box (clipped), the door frame kick plate and the A (?) pillar, taking care to remove the torx screw before unclipping this last panel.

You will find a socket connector tucked into the wiring loom under the trim at the bottom of the door frame.

A standard stereo cable with a jack at each end will connect your MP3 player to the socket in the glove box and you can activate via the CD changer button holding the button for a few seconds longer than normal.

Hope this is helpful.

Those jacks come in pre 2003 models iirc, as ive got one in mine but the sound is no where near as good to the proper ipod kit mb installs.

andy_cyp said:
Those jacks come in pre 2003 models iirc, as ive got one in mine but the sound is no where near as good to the proper ipod kit mb installs.[/QUOTE

Exoil just the info I wanted. Thanks very much.

I stayed well away from the IPOD after the American lawsuit came to light on the BBC programme, the programme name escapes me now but just after the guarantee period runs out so does the battery and Apple won't admit there is a fault over here although in the States they were made to replace them.
Of course thats if the screen doesn't crack first, won't admit liability on that either !!

Dave

I have to agree with you Andy about the proper ipod kit. I used the aux kit for a short while until I got my hands on the ipod integration kit. The functionality via the steering wheel buttons & the ability to select anything from the ipod safely is a winner.

Mind you there is quite a cost difference, but not if you compare to a (limited & now out of date) CD changer. I expect most all car mfrs will offer MP3 player connectivity as standard very soon.

BTW Dave, my ipod is pretty much resident in the car & connected to power - so even if battery fails should still function & I've already scratched the screen by having it in the same pocket as house keys - c'est la vie - my fault. It still gets my vote, however.

C

Exoil,

Phoned the local MB dealer today and they knew about the input wire so it will be in on Friday and the cost is £15.
Thanks again.

Dave

Dave,

No probs. It shouldn't be too difficult to remove the trim (assuming you are doing yourself), its just a question of finding the location of the clips & levering carefully to avoid breakage. Remember to remove the small cover & undo the torx screw on the panel below the glove box in the footwell before attempting removal !

Good luck.

C

exoil said:
Dave,

No probs. It shouldn't be too difficult to remove the trim (assuming you are doing yourself), its just a question of finding the location of the clips & levering carefully to avoid breakage. Remember to remove the small cover & undo the torx screw on the panel below the glove box in the footwell before attempting removal !

Good luck.

C
Bought the cable and fitted it today, no problems only instead of holding down the CD button slightly longer you have to hold down the CDC button for about 2 seconds then the aux input comes on the screen and the player plays, great :bannana: No I don't need to carry my valuable set of boyzone Cd's around I have them all on my MP3 player :D
Sound is as good as using my CD player.

BTW, Blassberg why have you got a picture of MY car on your post?

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom