How to convert Always-on power to ignition-on power?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

[email protected]

Hi all, first post, delighted to be here... :)

I have a peculiar problem and have searched these forums for several hours without luck. Basically, I am installing a reversing camera into the boot/cargo area of my ML270 and will be using the cargo lighter socket. However, this socket is an "always on" connection, which will eventually drain the battery. Is there anything simple I can do (without taking the car apart too much) to enable this socket to only provide power when the car is running?

On a different note, I am a bit wary of tapping into wiring looms, running extra wires, etc. Maybe I am being naive, but it is surprising that no-one has raised the possibility of insurance issues with wiring mods. What if the insurance company claims some wiring mods interfered with the car's electronic systems and refuses paying out in event of accident, etc.? :confused:

I think you are being over cautious, just tap into the ignition wire from the stereo loom.

There is no problem with insurance and wiring in your car, no matter how much you add onto it, just make sure you d oa clean and tidy job. If you are that worried, get a garage to do the wiring for you!

tap into the wire to the reversing light - then the cam only comes on when reversing :)

its grey witha yellow stripe or grey yellow white (left and right respectively) - goes live when in reverse... HTH. this will be on the back of the lights module that you pull off to replace a bulb. If you are really paranoid - use the power from here to fire a small relay which draws the main power from the fag socket thing you described.

small wire from reversing light to relay coil. otehr side of coil to chassis. fat wire from fag socket to switched side of relay, other side to camera.

live when in start or run is pink with a red stripe.... dont know where you will find one at the back....

Guy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom