How to deal with potential puncture on SLK R170?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lisa110rry

Car
1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
Hello and apologies if this has been done before, the search function is just not working for me.

Because my little car has differently sized wheels or tyres front and back, is there an accepted way of dealing with a potential puncture, other than on a breakdown lorry? I realise there is 0% chance of me ever changing a wheel myself, but I'd like to give any future breakdown operative a fighting chance.

If this has been done elsewhere, would someone please add the link?

:confused:

I've had a puncture in ours, it was so long ago I have forgotten what I did.

I've a memory of squirting a can of goo into the flat tyre but I don't think that it worked so I must have put the spare on. Is there a spare? It's raining so I can't check right now.

The spare is likely to be a space saver and narrower than the rest of the tyres anyway.

They might be different widths and even aspect ratios but are they not all the same rolling height? My spare is one of those narrow efforts but as it's the same height it doesn't cause issues.

Ah, there is no spare. I assumed this was because I would need two, there being two sizes, but I understand the comment about running height (I think).

I'm a lady who has never in her life changed a wheel and probably wouldn't be able to lift a full sized tyre from the boot (where there is a sort of circular depression) in any case!

Without getting wet lewyboy, when convenient would you please look to see what kind of spare I need to get, perhaps post a picture of yours? I know nothing about this. The spare on my other car is abundantly visible, lol.

Without a spare you should have a can of tyre inflator stuff to pump in when you get a flat. Other that that...call the AA/RAC.

Does your car even have a jack? Or other tools?

I would buy a space saver spare wheel, not to pricey on e bay.

I'm a lady who has never in her life changed a wheel and probably wouldn't be able to lift a full sized tyre from the boot (where there is a sort of circular depression) in any case!

If you have AA/RAC/etc. they will come out and do it for you - it's often almost impossible to get the wheel nuts off with the toolkit in the car anyway!

As mentioned a spare doesn't have to be the same size as either the front or back, so long as the overall diameter of wheel plus tyre is the same. A skinny space-saver is the best example of this, but I have a 16" alloy in the boot of the SL (which has staggered 18" wheels) and the Vito has a 16" steel spare (17" alloys). The C Class (staggered 17" alloys) has a space-saver.

If there's physically room in the car for some sort of spare then I would get one, personally.

Excellent advice from everyone, thank you. I'm going to investigate a thin spare wheel as there is a sort of "wheel-shaped" depression in the boot. I genuinely thought it was not possible. Being completely ignorant of these things, I'll ask my usual mechanic to deal with it. He's great. He knows I can't justify having two cars if one of them is going to start costing me much money. I'll have to take the car in on one of their "late finish" nights in any case as the driver's side window needs adjustment and I can't leave the car all day.

I do have Britannia Rescue "on me" (instead of relating to a specific car) so when I have got the little wheel if a puncture comes I will at least not have to experience the indignity of the little green car being towed or going on the back of the truck.

Many thanks and if anyone wants to recommend a brand, I'm all ears.

Erm...and if anyone wants to recommend a size I'd be grateful, the wheels are original spec for a 1998 SLK 230...apparently with "AMG styling" if that makes any difference.:dk:

Excellent advice from everyone, thank you. I'm going to investigate a thin spare wheel as there is a sort of "wheel-shaped" depression in the boot. I genuinely thought it was not possible. Being completely ignorant of these things, I'll ask my usual mechanic to deal with it. He's great. He knows I can't justify having two cars if one of them is going to start costing me much money. I'll have to take the car in on one of their "late finish" nights in any case as the driver's side window needs adjustment and I can't leave the car all day.

I do have Britannia Rescue "on me" (instead of relating to a specific car) so when I have got the little wheel if a puncture comes I will at least not have to experience the indignity of the little green car being towed or going on the back of the truck.

Many thanks and if anyone wants to recommend a brand, I'm all ears.

Erm...and if anyone wants to recommend a size I'd be grateful, the wheels are original spec for a 1998 SLK 230...apparently with "AMG styling" if that makes any difference.:dk:

Just read the tyre size from any of the tyres...that's all we need.

But this would probably do:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-...120941?hash=item3f64dca32d:g:rEYAAOSw-4BXYWdh

Wow, thank you Renault! That looks good. I've just been out to have a look at the tyres.

The front one says 225/45 ZR17 94W...
...and the rear one says 245/40 ZR17 95W.

Do you still think that eBay one would work?

Just been out to check my boot (and put the roof up, beginning to look a little like rain). Seems that underneath the plastic tray and a further cover, there is indeed as I thought, a space to put the wheel. Going to buy it now!

Thank you all, particularly Renault.

You will likely need an inflator and different bolts, as the steel spare will need shorter bolts.

EDIT: Looks like you have the bolts in that kit.

Thank you, I have an inflator in the boot that plugs into the cigar lighter. Looks like I'll be able to collect the wheel from Argos next week, which is jolly good because I've just developed a slow puncture! Would you credit it?:dk:

Something to bear in mind. If yours is like our later SLK (R171) the wheel you take off will not fit in the boot so it makes carrying a spare rather pointless.

Hmmm...you have a point there! (She says rubbing her chin thoughtfully.)

However, 99.9% of the time when I'm driving it, I'm alone, so it could perhaps be my passenger. I'll need to put a plastic sheet in the boot in case this happens. I probably couldn't pick up the wheel myself in any case, but no doubt the breakdown driver will be able to.

Ooo! Just got a notification that the wheel is ready for collection at the local Argos. I shall take my 6ft plus assistant with me (he has to bend his head if the roof is up) to lift it in to place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom