How to deal with Telemarketers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
there appears to be a problem with that link, it just comes up with an outlook screen,

the best way to dal with telemarketers (as I used to live with one) is to keep them on the phone for ages and imply that you are going to order lots of stuff then not do it, they have to keep statistics on everything and things like that stuff them up for weeks - good - serves them right for doing a worthless job,

there appears to be a problem with that link, it just comes up with an outlook screen,

the best way to dal with telemarketers (as I used to live with one) is to keep them on the phone for ages and imply that you are going to order lots of stuff then not do it, they have to keep statistics on everything and things like that stuff them up for weeks - good - serves them right for doing a worthless job,

Strange, just tried it again and it seems ok....

Tried hard to ignore but could not in the end.

I hate being called up too, but have you considered that some of the people you glibly condem may in fact be doing the best they possibly can for their families. Not everybody has the skills etc. to land a job that may be more socially acceptable you know. At least they are trying and not simply going on the dole?

I just politely say "no thanks" tell them to remove me from their database then put the phone down. Registering with the TPS is a great help and has almost stopped calls to my house.

Lets have a little understanding please - and BTW the link was very funny and made me laugh so I'm not being po-faced about this :)

Not looking for a flame war!

Very funny, excellent, brightened my dreary morning

I hate being called up too, but have you considered that some of the people you glibly condem may in fact be doing the best they possibly can for their families. Not everybody has the skills etc. to land a job that may be more socially acceptable you know. At least they are trying and not simply going on the dole?

I just politely say "no thanks" tell them to remove me from their database then put the phone down. Registering with the TPS is a great help and has almost stopped calls to my house.

Lets have a little understanding please - and BTW the link was very funny and made me laugh so I'm not being po-faced about this :)

I knew someone that did telemarketing for a while and and she left was always polite when telling callers she wasn't interested, she'd has plenty of angry people telling her off and didn't want to do the same to someone else. Like you say they are only doing a job. The one's I don't like are the those that get upset when they realise you are not interested in their fabulous offer :)

im not looking for a flame war either, I try to ignore telemarketers but they keep ringing me up,

where do these companies get my number from and why do they think they have the right to ring me up?

Going ex-directory helps. Just doing that cut down unsolicited calls by 90%. But it can take a year or so for that to kick-in.

im not looking for a flame war either, I try to ignore telemarketers but they keep ringing me up,

where do these companies get my number from and why do they think they have the right to ring me up?

As mentioned before register with the Telephone Preference Service, it does work. If you still get calls after registration ask them where they got your number from and let them know you will report them to the TPS.
Also compared to the Americans we get off lightly. I have friends and family who are constantly answering calls to telemarketing companies. A lot of these are now automated and nobody listens if you shout back at them!

my least favourite are the ones where there is pause after you pick up or even a dead line. really spooks my wife.

When there is someone there my standard opener is "who would you like to speak to?". the vast majority have no idea who is in the house and what your circumstances are.

then there is an array of responses like

"sorry i don't have a mobile phone'
"we have our own private gas supply and aren't attached to the grid"
"i have a religious objection to double glazing"
"i work for a phone company so get my line for free the only way you'd better the offer is if you pay me to use your service"

i count it as a victory if they end the conversation first, completely confused and off script. but i'm never rude i just like to come across as their worst type of prospective customer.

Usually when you buy something and miss the tiny little box that says 'tick here if you don't want us to contact you or pass your information on'. That is construed as you saying "every man and his dog please call me!"

You only need miss a single one and then you are in doo-doo!

Register with the TPS - it really does make a difference

Incidentally, I know of 1 telemarketing script that adds you to a a "likes to talk" list if you engage them in conversation, which in turn means you are more likely to be called. So talking a lot can in fact be counter-productive

Disclaimer - I am not a telemarketeer! :bannana:

As mentioned before register with the Telephone Preference Service, it does work. If you still get calls after registration ask them where they got your number from and let them know you will report them to the TPS.
Also compared to the Americans we get off lightly. I have friends and family who are constantly answering calls to telemarketing companies. A lot of these are now automated and nobody listens if you shout back at them!

yes we get the automated toilet here too,

my question is why do we need a service that does the job of stopping an unwanted service, why not just stop the unwanted service? is that not more efficient?

Usually when you buy something and miss the tiny little box that says 'tick here if you don't want us to contact you or pass your information on'. That is construed as you saying "every man and his dog please call me!"

You only need miss a single one and then you are in doo-doo!

Register with the TPS - it really does make a difference

Incidentally, I know of 1 telemarketing script that adds you to a a "likes to talk" list if you engage them in conversation, which in turn means you are more likely to be called. So talking a lot can in fact be counter-productive

Disclaimer - I am not a telemarketeer! :bannana:

I am very carefull about who I give my details too and who I talk to, have to be for my role, just upset that my details are not my own, I cant get things without giving my details out as these un evolved retards who just follow scripts and dont have the capacity of independant thought will not allow `im not giving you my email address or home phone number` - just so they can ring me later, waste my time and stop me working, how, in any sense of the world can these people thinking they are helping mankind and are moving the human race forwards?

this is whats wrong, surely the TPS, great service as it may be, is just covering up the cracks and isnt addressing the real problem?

I just tell them to hang on while I answer the door and put the phone down somewhere, 20 minutes later they've usually gone when I get back. :)

I found TPS works well, but we still get regular calls from charities wanting us to do house to house collections (which we have done and collected like £6 - the people in large detached houses who will put 10p in the envelope are astonishing).

There are some great joke scripts to use back at the callers - I kept a BT one talking for 20mins once but then the phone suddenly went dead. Apparently the supervisors listen in after a certain time and will disconnect the call if it's not going anywhere.

Well all I can say is I sincerely hope that none of you who say "lets waste their time and make life unpleasant" ever need to do a job you dislike to feed your family.

Appears the milk of human kindness or understanding is missing today.

And those who have known me on here for some years also know that I do not blow easily :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom