How to deal with Telemarketers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With the "out sourced" call centers they are reading from a script try and throw a few questions in to the conversation like

Whats the weather like there
Have you had lunch
Would you buy (insert product)

Totally throws them because its not on the script

Or for those Pi**ed with it all

Just hang the phone up

jamie

Last edited:
Well all I can say is I sincerely hope that none of you who say "lets waste their time and make life unpleasant" ever need to do a job you dislike to feed your family.

Appears the milk of human kindness or understanding is missing today.

And those who have known me on here for some years also know that I do not blow easily :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

nothing personal against you Gollom, it seems you are sticking up for something that is truly annoying and a lot of people agree so, I suppose that telesales people are like wasps,

thanks for putting up the opposing side to the arguement but the tide is strong on this one,

nothing personal against you Gollom, it seems you are sticking up for something that is truly annoying and a lot of people agree so, I suppose that telesales people are like wasps,

thanks for putting up the opposing side to the arguement but the tide is strong on this one,

I'm not sticking up for the actual role - it annoys me as much as it annoys you. What I am sticking up for is the people who see it as the only way to earn a living. I'm sure there are a small number who actually enjoy the job, but for the vast majority it is a means to an end.

What really does annoy me is those who suggest making life even more unpleasant for these people than it already is. For goodness sake, say goodbye and just hang up. Have you ever put yourself in their place and tried to comprehend what a daily barrage of (indirect) abuse does to their self-esteem?

Once the TPS kicks in you will see a huge reduction in the number of calls.

Thanks for keeping it as a reasoned debate :)

I managed to keep one on the phone for ten minutes. It was not intentional, just that was the first oppertunity he gave for me to say anything!

I really detest junk calls.
I registered with the Telephone Preference Service and the Fax Preference Service.
Best to do both, as some systems just poll every possible combination of numbers until someone answers or until they receive a fax tone.
This has virtually eliminated junk calls to my number.

but for the vast majority it is a means to an end.

Gollom,

very nice of you to make this point, if thats the only job they can do because they have had an illness or disability then I would try to help them do better if they wanted it, if thats the only job they can do because they are lazy, stupid, didnt concetrate at school and have bad qualifications or some other reason that is their fault then they deserve everything they get, they should also go round schools and say `keep messing about if you want to end up like a failure like me`

strong point I know but I see so many waisters about who blame everybody but themselves for their crap existance when most of the time it is just lazyness,

I'm personally more inclined to be polite/reasonable with cold callers who are up front about what they're selling. Others, like the one in the OP:

"You have been selected to receive a complete digital satellite system for free."

... deserve little mercy IMO as they are often misleading to the point of being fraudulent.

yes we get the automated toilet here too,

my question is why do we need a service that does the job of stopping an unwanted service, why not just stop the unwanted service? is that not more efficient?

This service is present because it is profitable. Some people do buy from the telemarketers otherwise they would not do it. Same as junk email.

I'm with Gollom on this one. All you need to do is put the phone down.
No point in being nasty or abusive. Same as cold call selling. Just close the door. Saves time and frayed tempers.

Gollom,

very nice of you to make this point, if thats the only job they can do because they have had an illness or disability then I would try to help them do better if they wanted it, if thats the only job they can do because they are lazy, stupid, didnt concetrate at school and have bad qualifications or some other reason that is their fault then they deserve everything they get, they should also go round schools and say `keep messing about if you want to end up like a failure like me`

strong point I know but I see so many waisters about who blame everybody but themselves for their crap existance when most of the time it is just lazyness,

WOW that was heavy........

I think you may be surprised how much some of these Stupid, lazy people earn....I know at my last job we had a telesales division and the top earners were on £100k+.......not bad for a stupid lazy person.

PS. I hate telesales too....:D but I find a polite are you trying to sell me something followed by a polite no thanks suffices.

What really does annoy me is those who suggest making life even more unpleasant for these people than it already is. For goodness sake, say goodbye and just hang up. Have you ever put yourself in their place and tried to comprehend what a daily barrage of (indirect) abuse does to their self-esteem?

I think you may be surprised how much some of these Stupid, lazy people earn....I know at my last job we had a telesales division and the top earners were on £100k+.......not bad for a stupid lazy person.

if they have low self asteem because they do a worthless job then surely the huge pile of money makes it better,

we have had discussions on sales techniques on here before and I have conceeded there are some good salesman around, the lot we have here are great, very strong and motivated, the guy on the £100k must be good too, but lets define good, a good telesales person can make the most profit from the least time on the phone, and they wont care what they sell, this will be the type of person who sells a new roof/double glazing/flash car (delete as appropriate) to your granny for well over the odds when they didnt need it just to make money, and we think this a good way to earn a crust for their children and something that should be richly rewarded?

and I think we can see from the response on here they are not liked

if thats the only job they can do because they are lazy, stupid, didnt concetrate at school and have bad qualifications or some other reason that is their fault then they deserve everything they get, they should also go round schools and say `keep messing about if you want to end up like a failure like me`

Ive never met you so I of course I dont know what your like. You come across as the type of person who looks down upon anyone who is an inferior job to yourself, do you act rude/speak to workers in McDonalds, Tesco's Bin men etc? :confused: just because they have been 'lazy' thoughout life?

I try to only be rude to people who are rude to me. :)

Ive never met you so I of course I dont know what your like. You come across as the type of person who looks down upon anyone who is an inferior job to yourself, do you act rude/speak to workers in McDonalds, Tesco's Bin men etc? :confused: just because they have been 'lazy' thoughout life?

I try to only be rude to people who are rude to me. :)

so do I, and they guy who rings me and annoys me is being rude to me as he is disturbing my time off, the guy giving me food or emptying my bin is doing a worthy task, the guy trying to sell me double glazing is not,

Last edited:
Have used TPS for a while now and not often bothered until recently.

Started getting calls from the US trying to sell me a package of "software" containing 10 wonderful applications. First one went like this:

"What software?"

"Well, it would cost you $800 but we can get it to you for only $20."

"Oh right. So, what is it?"

"Market leading software"

"Yeeeeeesss, but what "software" are you talking about?"

"Well respected products from leading companies"

"OK. Just tell me this. What are these applications called?"

"Utilities"

"What do they do?

"Increase you productivity"

Went on like this for a while. Refused to tell me what these products were, what they did or who made them and ended up by saying in sneering tone that $20 was clearly too much for me.

At that point I became very abusive and put the phone down. At each call from same source selling the same tired old routine (4 so far) I become more so. If that makes me a bad person, well, so be it.

Went on like this for a while. Refused to tell me what these products were, what they did or who made them and ended up by saying in sneering tone that $20 was clearly too much for me.

At that point I became very abusive and put the phone down. At each call from same source selling the same tired old routine (4 so far) I become more so. If that makes me a bad person, well, so be it.

thats because he rang you to change your life with his wonderfull product and you wasted his time by asking him questions and not just paying up

Have used TPS for a while now and not often bothered until recently.

Started getting calls from the US trying to sell me a package of "software" containing 10 wonderful applications. First one went like this:

"What software?"

"Well, it would cost you $800 but we can get it to you for only $20."

"Oh right. So, what is it?"

"Market leading software"

"Yeeeeeesss, but what "software" are you talking about?"

"Well respected products from leading companies"

"OK. Just tell me this. What are these applications called?"

"Utilities"

"What do they do?

"Increase you productivity"

TPS does not cover calls made from outside the UK :mad: :(

so do I, and they guy who rings me and annoys me is being rude to me as he is disturbing my time off, the guy giving me food or emptying my bin is doing a worthy task, the guy trying to sell me double glazing is not,

Wow, you are indeed a harsh person (or at least come across as one). Hope that the words never have the chance to bite you in the prosterior!

However, I do respect your right to have an opinion.

I get automated calls from the US hitting my direct dial number at work, telling me I've won a free timeshare :rolleyes:

Wow, you are indeed a harsh person (or at least come across as one). Hope that the words never have the chance to bite you in the prosterior!

However, I do respect your right to have an opinion.

I am a bit harsh, but I am equally harsh on myself which I believe is fair and thats what pushes me so should never end up eating my words as there is nothing more embarassing than humble pie!!!

although I stick to what I said above being fair, I work hard and value my time off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom