How to do an W/S211 E320 EGR blank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodge-it

Car
Mercedes S211 E320
I recently had a Celtic Tuning remap by Redgorton Garage near Perth and as part of this I had them (electronically) delete the EGR from the ECU.

The effect of deleting the EGR from the ECU means the ECU no longer looks for it functioning, although the valve itself is still open to the crud from the exhaust, so physical blanking is still required to stop the nasty stuff from chocking up your valve and intake.

Picture 1 shows the three bolts to remove the turbo heat shield
Picture 2 shows the shield removed and where to look for the EGR pipe
Picture 3 shows the back of the manifold where the EGR pipe fits on the intake

To be continued....

Attachments

• 20170709_114004.jpg
    20170709_114004.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20170709_115910.jpg
    20170709_115910.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 26
Continuing...

Picture 4 shows the EGR pipe and the four bolts to remove it

Picture 5 shows the pipe removed with two gaskets.

picture 6 shows the piece of stainless steel I've cut a blank from

Attachments

• 20170709_115934.jpg
    20170709_115934.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170709_122545.jpg
    20170709_122545.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 11
It looks like I've blown my quota of pictures.... :wallbash:

I fitted the new blank on the exhaust manifold side of the EGR pipe to make reassembly easier. It's a bit fiddly to get fat hands in to hold gaskets, the blank and wee screws in place but I managed fine lying across the top of the engine.

I've done some 300+ miles in mixed road conditions and had no issues.

I recently had a Celtic Tuning remap by Redgorton Garage near Perth and as part of this I had them (electronically) delete the EGR from the ECU.

The effect of deleting the EGR from the ECU means the ECU no longer looks for it functioning, although the valve itself is still open to the crud from the exhaust, so physical blanking is still required to stop the nasty stuff from chocking up your valve and intake.

Picture 1 shows the three bolts to remove the turbo heat shield
Picture 2 shows the shield removed and where to look for the EGR pipe
Picture 3 shows the back of the manifold where the EGR pipe fits on the intake

To be continued....

What power figures did yours make?

According to Celtic the bhp goes from 220 to 290 an increase of 70 bhp. The torque from 376 to 443 ft/lbs an increase of 67ft/lbs.:rock:

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/

Oh I thought you might of had it on the dyno, I had mine done and put it on the dyno and made 270hp my cars always been to main dealer for services all up to date so it's a strong engine, I thought that figure was about right until I seen msl in Birmingham there remaps making around 290hp on these cars alot more torque, also have been told celtic tuning do exaggerate on figures so wondered if you had better gains.

I was aware of the reputation of Celtic prior to having the remap done. Apart from releasing the extra ponies I was wanting to blank the EGR valve to stop premature wear on my engine.

I have no way except the seat of my pants to verify the figures quoted but I'm well happy with the old girl:D

I was aware of the reputation of Celtic prior to having the remap done. Apart from releasing the extra ponies I was wanting to blank the EGR valve to stop premature wear on my engine.

I have no way except the seat of my pants to verify the figures quoted but I'm well happy with the old girl:D

May well be something I'll have to do as well then. Thanks

20170709_132215_2.jpg

The blank fitted to the exhaust side of the EGR pipe prior to re-installation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom