How to dodge TV licence fee: just watch repeats on your computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the computer is covered by the act as well.

Tv equipment such as tv,digital box, computer or mobile phone to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV

The Communications Act 2003, which is the primary legislation that applies here, does not specifically define types of equipment. It's primary legislation, so it has to be pretty generic and non-technology specific.

It refers simply to a "television receiver". The actual definition of what constitutes a television receiver is done in a statutory instrument and therefore would be easy to change and, as secondary legislation, would not technically even need to involve Parliament (within the scope of the Act), although politically that could very well be so contentious that a Parliamentary debate would be inevitable.

In the current statutory instrument, the concept of watching live television is a key part of the definition, which is one reason why iPlayer programmes do not fall under its scope (neither do DVDs for example).

The other key aspect here is the definition of "broadcast". IMO, while traditional linear broadcasting is best known, IP networks can be used for what is defined as broadcast style communications. Whether or not only multicast distribution would qualify as such is a point of debate, but in my personal opinion (I am not a lawyer :D) it would not have to be restricted to that definition.

It is worth bearing in mind also that the Communications Act is mainly an implementation of the relevant EU law in this field, and currently the EU framework in many respects does not apply to Internet based services. However, another characteristic of EU law is that it is less precise than UK law, not in the least because it must accommodate different legal systems across the union. The EU legal framework is currently being revised. Assuming that agreement can be reached before the Commission and the Parliament step down early next year (it's a co-decision procedure), the scope might change. The lack of regulatory powers in the domain of Internet based services and products has been a major problem and a new framework might address that.

sorry that quote i put up was what was on the back of my licence

As I said, it's what you do with a device that determines whether or not you need to pay the fee, not what type of device it is.

If you use a computer to use iPlayer to watch content and that is all you do, you do not need to pay the fee.

If you use the computer to watch broadcasting as defined in the statutory instrument (for example using a DVB-T receiver to watch live telly) then you do need to pay the fee.

Tv equipment such as tv,digital box, computer or mobile phone to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV

Read the article carefully. "live".

TV are dinosaur anyway, nobody watch TV anymore. Spend more time on the internet and save £139 a year in time of credit crunch.

Last edited:
well i do not have motors tv/speed or the history channell on the internet.
neither does it have cartoons for the kids.
cannot flip over when the adverts come in, and using ot constantly will mean your internet package may become more expensive than the TV licence

Last edited:
Read the article carefully. "live".

TV are dinasaur anyway, nobody watch TV anymore. Spend more time on the internet and save £139 a year in time of credit crunch.

Maybe you but i think more people watch TV than use the internet e.g children.

Isn't it best to just pay it and have done with it?

Another point: there may be cases where you ahve a telly but only use it for e.g old consoles or other devices etc, not to receive telly. But how do you explain that to someone questioning you about it? How would you prove you have never watched a live broadcast on the device? Best to just pay up.

I think the accepted way to "prove" you do not watch TV is to make sure the receiver is not capable of receiving broadcasts. If the aerial is not connected and the tuner is not tuned in to broadcast signals that should suffice

There is no reason to have, and no legal requirement for, a licence to watch tapes, DVDs and video consoles

People may say you need a licence to own a TV but that's not correct - you need a licence only to receive or record broadcast TV signals

There is also no legal requirement on you to allow TV licensing people into your home unless they have a Court Order

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
There are times I get the feeling your country is more odd than mine. Not often; and I'd never be so insolent as to suggest there's a "better". But it really is in the details, isn't it?

There are times I get the feeling your country is more odd than mine. Not often; and I'd never be so insolent as to suggest there's a "better". But it really is in the details, isn't it?

You guys are lucky over there, don't have to pay TV licence, the air is free.:bannana:

When one buys a tv the retailer informs the authority of the sale. They will check their database. If no valid license found for the address given the boys will be round, wih a court order.

If they find any instrument capable of receiving over the air broadcasts , be that tv, digibox, media centre, pc with tuner card, you are toast.

exactly and if you give a dodgy name to the sales people like my friend does, there goes your warranty.
Anyway its just not worth it/ for 2tanks of petrol, running scared from the authorities.
Now if you live alone and are sure not to open any doors when they come knocking, then good luck

Last edited:

Are you serious, well to be honest i always thought yours was the odd one out in the civilised world

When one buys a tv the retailer informs the authority of the sale. They will check their database. If no valid license found for the address given the boys will be round, wih a court order.
They will write to you first. But buying a TV and having no licence is one reason they can apply for a court order

If they find any instrument capable of receiving over the air broadcasts , be that tv, digibox, media centre, pc with tuner card, you are toast.
Not true. You only require a licence to receive or record broadcasts. There is nothing to prevent you owning equipment capable of doing so. But if you don't have a licence and they catch you in the act, or you have a setup ready to record/receive, you may be in trouble

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

They will write to you first. But buying a TV and having no licence is one reason they can apply for a court order

Not true. You only require a licence to receive or record broadcasts. There is nothing to prevent you owning equipment capable of doing so. But if you don't have a licence and they catch you in the act, or you have a setup ready to record/receive, you may be in trouble

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Let them park the van in front of your house to monitor the TV signals, no signal, sorry. Maybe some PC wireless signals.:bannana:

Let them park the van in front of your house to monitor the TV signals, no signal, sorry. Maybe some PC wireless signals.:bannana:

me thinks you might find they can tell not only that you are watching, but also what and how long you have accessing it too if you are doing so by PC. They will even now which room it is in.

Still, all the best.

Why not turn your whole home into a giant Faraday cage? That way nobody would know what you were watching. Might cost you a couple of grand to do it, but just think, you would save yourself £130 squids or so.......
However, they will still give you a cold call to check................so don't think you can beat the system. Because you cant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom