How to find out who owns a number plate (Private plate)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Curently looking at buying a private plate advertised from one of the larger number plate firms. I've got them down a fair bit off what they are asking....but

Is there anyway of finding out the owners details? as I bet as with most they have for sale they are selling on behalf of the owner and add in their preimium?

If I could find the owner I could maybe save quite a bit more and they would actually get the same anyway.

Anyway I could find out who owns it?

Thanks

A lot of numbers on Ebay are actually owned by DVLA, and advertised by 'middle men' hoping to make a quick buck.

I don't think that unless you have a friendly mate in DVLA that it is possible, as they are generally unassigned to vehicles.

Hello

Sorry its not a DVLA number, its my initials and three numbers Such as MER 100

Advertised on Registration transfers, I doubt they own it but will be selling it on behalf of a customer and then they will take a cut...

Their cut is usually quite low. I think its between 150 - 200 pounds.

You can find out who owns a car (and therefore the plate) by doing an enquiry -but you have to have a good reason to do it (say they hit you and ran off). If you can find out the nature of the plate - ie, is it on a transfer certificate or is it on a car which then needs to be transfered off - this may provide a route. Otherwise I don't know of any offical route.

Suggested alternative - google the plate. It's likely that the owner has mentioned it on some forum. Or, do a 'wanted' advert in a national paper such as the times. You may find the seller calls you directly (but advise them to be careful - they have a contract with regtransfers which they'd have to get out of by cancelling).

You can find out who owns a car (and therefore the plate) by doing an enquiry -but you have to have a good reason to do it (say they hit you and ran off). If you can find out the nature of the plate - ie, is it on a transfer certificate or is it on a car which then needs to be transfered off - this may provide a route. Otherwise I don't know of any offical route.

Suggested alternative - google the plate. It's likely that the owner has mentioned it on some forum. Or, do a 'wanted' advert in a national paper such as the times. You may find the seller calls you directly (but advise them to be careful - they have a contract with regtransfers which they'd have to get out of by cancelling).

Cut is quite low.:rolleyes:

I currently have two number plates for sale, one with Regtransfers, and one with Newreg.

One plate, I have for sale I would receive £5000, they have advertised at £7995, and the other I would receive £600, advertised at £2048.:eek:

These companies are not just making a couple of hundred quid, they are making thousands on sales.

I see why A210AMG wants to cut out the middle man.

.............unless you have a good friend in the police force........preferably on traffic duty. Then its easy peasy.

If you don't have good reason and say someone hit and run, and the number is only on retention, you could be in a lot of trouble.

I know that isn't what you were suggesting, but in case you try!!

The police now face the sack for many things which years ago would have been overlooked or ignored.
I was told that police have to submit a breath test before going on every duty and if found to be over the prescribed limit potentially face the sack.
Also, if convicted of speeding - even while not on duty - could get the bullet.

Type the reg in here and you can see if it is already on a car but thats about it.

Tried both my registration numbers, neither work.:crazy:

They always seem to walk when it comes to doing 187mph in a 30 limit etc?...

The police now face the sack for many things which years ago would have been overlooked or ignored.
I was told that police have to submit a breath test before going on every duty and if found to be over the prescribed limit potentially face the sack.
Also, if convicted of speeding - even while not on duty - could get the bullet.

Thanks all,

The number plate checkers reveal nothing, not on database, I guess its on retention.

Worth a try, any other idea? thanks

I currently have two number plates for sale, one with Regtransfers, and one with Newreg.

One plate, I have for sale I would receive £5000, they have advertised at £7995, and the other I would receive £600, advertised at £2048.:eek:

These companies are not just making a couple of hundred quid, they are making thousands on sales.

I see why A210AMG wants to cut out the middle man.

Really ? holy cow. I had my plate up with them at £4,500 - I had £4,250 for me. However maybe that was before VAT...who knows.

Thanks all,

The number plate checkers reveal nothing, not on database, I guess its on retention.

Worth a try, any other idea? thanks

Rather obvious I know...........but sometimes just Googling the number might bring up some info.........

Tried everthing you guys have said

The google Idea I thought was good and I don't think of that...

No luck so far

If you can find out which authority issued the number originally, you might be able to trace the current owner via them. Hopefully, it may not have passed through many owners during its lifetime.

The government's cut is also quite big. VAT is charged (i've presumed included in the sale price) and unless you are VAT registered they don't have anything to claim back

So, 7995 ex VAT = 6952. So, basically 5k for you, 2k for them, 1k for inland revenue.

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom