How to fit new HID bulbs to w215 CL 600 2003

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PANAMA1uk

Car
CL 600
Hello all,

Can I have a little guidance on the procedure to fit new HID bulbs to my CL bi xenon headlamps, I got some Osram D2s bulbs as I'm sure my current ones are duller than they were back in 03!

The main question is, do you need to remove the front bumper, fully, partially or not at all?

I've spent hours looking on YouTube for clues but to no avail!

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance

Steve .....
Oh yes I got a DAS zentry 2014 version built into an old dell PC with all the cables etc its a fantastic bit of kit with the multiplexer etc... It's saved me 1000's in dealer fees for doing DIY jobs...

Best 300 £ I spent ever....

Assuming it's the same as my CL500 you don't need to remove the bumper. It's actually a simple job.

At the back of the headlamp unit, directly behind the dipped beam light position you'll see a black round cap about 10cm diameter. Rotate it anti-clockwise to remove. You can then see the bulb assembly (pic 1) with the igniter unit attached (with yellow warning label) on the back of the bulb. Remove this by rotating anti-clockwise.

Warning - High Voltage: Make sure the light switch is in the OFF position (not AUTO) and do not attempt this until at least 10 mins has elapsed from turning the headlights off.

You will then see a knurled ring (pic2) that holds the bulb in place. Rotate this anti-clockwise to release the bulb but be careful that the bulb doesn't suddenly fall out.

Fitting is the reverse procedure. Note that the bulb has lugs to ensure it is sitting correctly.

Ignore the green arrow in pic 2; it's showing the adjustment lever for driving on the right.

Attachments

• P1010018-001.jpg
    P1010018-001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 37
  • P1010023-003.jpg
    P1010023-003.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 35
Hello and thanks for the prompt reply, I did see your post actually and was wondering if you had very small hands lol, on my 600 there is very little room at all to get your hands in, let alone see or pull bulbs and connectors off. This is why I really wanted to see if another 600 owner had done the job. Perhaps you know if the headlamp unit can be removed without taking the bumper off ? Why MB hide access screws away I never will know.

I will have a good look tomorrow to find the mounting screws, I am sure there should be 3 cunningly hidden somewhere !

Thanks again

Regards

Steve ....

Average sized hands here but it is awkward, especially putting the new bulb in. Maybe there's even less room in your 600?

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that to remove the headlamp unit you also have to remove the bumper.

Success ! Right hand side was the easiest, the left was a little more tricky but from what I learned from the right simplified the learning curve.

The connector to the bulb had a strange feature that as you twisted it to remove it, it self ejected the power supply plug!

Not the best feature in the world as pushing this on after the connector was in place proved frustratingly awkward.

The usual scratched and black dirty hands were resultant but very pleased once finished !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom