How to fix a 8ft Acrylic Mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digisatman

Hey all,

Im trying to fix a 8ft x 4ft 3mm acrylic mirror across a flat wall (half brick half plasterboard) but having huge problems..

First the plasterer who plastered the garage tried silicone, it came off about 2 days later.

I then tried No More Nails, which lasted about 4-5 days before coming off again, I then tried mirror clips today, but due to the size of the mirror it doesnt really work (only had 4).

Not sure where to go from here, I was thinking of getting Mirror adhesive and loads of mirror screws, not sure though, any ideas?

There is a product out there called "Sticks Like Sh*t" and it does. You may well end pulling your wall down if you ever want to get it off again.

As lxi above says...you can't stick anything to the plaster unless it has been sealed.

Evo Mirror mate or Everbuild Mirror adhesive?
As the mirror is flexible can you mount it on batterns first?
I would be worred that you may get distortion and get a hall of mirrirs effect

Can you take a photo of the area and post it up?

I bought a similar sized poster printed onto acrylic sheet from www.posterxxl.co.uk and we fixed it to a plaster wall with these

The acrylic sheet was 8ft by 3ft

They glue onto the back of the acrylic and then hang on a screw which has been rawlplugged into the wall - still hanging three years later.

They also do an aluminium subframe which is a little bit more expensive, and might be more suitable cos your sheet is a little bigger.
photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Are you really sure you want an acrylic mirror? never yet seen one that isnt distorted, or lacking in "depth".
Why not bond a sheet of plasterboard to the back with something like Gripfill (solvent) then use driwall adhesive to bond the board to the plastered wall? May help keep it flat.

The trouble with glueing acrylic is that nothing really sticks to it.

Some fish tanks are made with acrylic , and people are forever trying to glue baffles into them with silicone , and it just doesn't stick and take any load.

Tensol 12 ( i think ) is the stuff to glue acrylic to acrylic , but to then bond it to a wall , i'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom