How to fix W124 B pillar trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
The B pillar trims in my W124 have been annoying me for a while, as they seem to be pulling away form the actual pillar and sitting proud of the weather strip around the doors, leaving an gap which doesn't look too great.

This morning I also noticed that as a result of the trim pulling away from the pillar, the seatbelt height adjustment wasn't working very smoothly and clonking around between the 3 positions on the ratchet that holds it in place.

On further investigation, there only seems to be 3 points at which the trim is fixed to the pillar, a spring clip at the top, 2 screws at the base, and two badly designed clips (one each side) near the top. The design of the clips on the sides doesn't look great, just some plastic tabs that don't have enough tension to hold the trim in place.

I was intending to renew these clips (Part number A 1249888878 in case anyone else feels the need to replace them) but didn't see the point as the problem seems to be be the need to anchor the trim to the pillar closer to the middle, where is tends to bow out.

Anyway, I managed to cobble together a hill billy solution using a cable tie on each side fixed to the pillar and then to the back of the trim by drilling a small hole.

I found 370mm cable ties the shortest length that enabled me to engage the cable tie loosely, before refitting the trim in the normal way, then gently pulling the cable tie tight to add some tension in the middle of the trim, holding it firmly in place.

If anyone else does try this, just make sure to use regular nylon cable ties. I think the metal variety may damage the seatbelt if they come into contact.

It's a bit of a pikey fix, but the trim looks a lot better without the unsightly gap between it and the pillar, and more importantly, the seatbelt height adjuster now works properly.

I've added pics below for anyone interested.

Last edited:
More pics

Pics of the clip before the fix and the seatbelt height adjustment mechanism

Last edited:
Final pics

Some after shots to show it does actually hold the trim in place properly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom