How to free corroded copper tap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
I've tried the usual Google and read my Collins DIY bible but can't find the answer, so I'm calling on the forum yet again for help.

My 15 year old bathroom taps are dripping. New washer time? After I pop off the plastic handle it looks as if I have a traditional pillar tap like this:

pillar_tap.gif

so I tried to undo the headgear nut with an adjustable spanner, but I'm beginning to round off the nut or simply rotate the whole tap assembly. The nut looks to be copper and is oxidized (green). So I presume the rust has bonded the central mechanism to the housing?

Can any one recommend a releasing agent. eg. WD40?

and is there a more suitable tool than an adjustable spanner?

Many thanks.

It will be brass, copper is too soft. Unscrew the tap a turn or two to release thread pressure (same applies on re-assembly) and a gentle heat wont hurt. Rather than an adjuster which tends to open under pressure try a small pipe wrench which tightens as you pull.

Relaxing is all well and good, but wouldn't Radox be better? :D

Olly's suggestion is the one I would use...

is there a more suitable tool than an adjustable spanner?

Many thanks.

You can get the adjustable wrenches that actually apply grip as you start to turn. They are a bit expensive but a very handy addition to any toolbox.

Oil filter chain wrench might shift it.

To be honest, for what a tap cost, I would have gotten medieval and angle ground the thing off and replaced it :D

What you need is a small Stillson Wrench Pipe wrench - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or a good set of vice grips (mole wrench) Locking pliers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to gain purchase on the offending nut. Best approach is to remove the tap completely from the sink and work on it in a soft jawed vice. However the simplest approach is simply to buy two new taps and fit them instead. They are not that expensive nowadays- take the old tap along to the plumbers merchant to make sure you get the correct replacement.

Last edited:
Nibbo speaks the truth! I have two of them ( a small/medium double ended and a large) and they are brilliant.

Plus gas is better than wd40 for loosening corroded nuts.

Thanks everyone for your tips. My DIY went something like this:

Went out and bought a flame torch (£16) and pipe wrench (£16).
Came home and was able to free the hot tap, but just rounded-off the cold tap headgear nut and removed flesh off one finger. Dam and blast.
Went back out and bought new taps (£15) and basin wrench (£6).
Returned home again, removed old taps in 15 minutes and fitted new taps in 15 minutes.

BTW I found the pipe wrench rather frustrating. The inherent design makes it difficult to tighten fully and I never got enough purchase on the nuts. I think the tool that Nibbo suggested looks a lot better.

Moral of the story: Don't waste time replacing washers on old corroded taps!

Am now tempted to make crème brûlée tonight to justify the new flame torch purchase. :)

Last edited:
Am now tempted to make crème brûlée tonight to justify the new flame torch purchase. :)

:thumb: Also works great topping off macaroni cheese. num num.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom