How to get a repair bill for £1500 in 2 seconds!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After the recent snow, Croydon and the surrounding area's roads seem to have fallen apart. Dunno what they make these roads from where they fall apart from just a couple of days snow.

That is the power of freezing water. When water get into small crevices and then freezes, it expands thus breaking or trying to break out of its constraints, as in freezing pipes.

My boss recently hit an obstruction in the road, I think it was a raised drain or something but it put a nice mark in his sump. He phoned the council as soon as he got in the office and they accepted liability immediately and the next morning the problem in the road was fixed. His insurance company were happy to deal with it and get the council to pay for it. Problem solved? well nearly, his insurance company have now raised his premium and he's lost his no claims. He is some what annoyed and spent quite a long time on the phone complaining again. I'll try to get an update on it.

I drove about 10 miles to and 10 miles back from the train station on Fri pm to collect my step-son. Sat am I have gone out to find 3 buckled wheels, 2 split tyres (one was flat & wouldn't hold any air!)

I've had the wheels (Brabus Monobloc A's) for about 2 years after MB Bristol split the front left limited edition wheel on a test drive and so did a deal for the A's. The tyres on the front were less than 4000 miles old and the rear about 6000 miles both with about 5-6mm of tread left.

My claim will be for a full set (cheaper than 3 wheels) and a full set of tyres as front & rear are different sizes & patterns & I won't use a worn one with a new one on the same axel and they tyres were both on the left.

I have to deal with Somerset council so fingers crossed for us both!

Kate

What makes me wonder about this hole (ewwww) thing is how you managed to drive through something so big and deep!

PITA and good luck with the Council - is that just up by the Fox? I grew up in Coulsdon (and remember when that road was much more than a 30!), haven't been there for years!

Some years ago, my local council met the cost of a full wheel alignment at the dealer - about £250 IIRC.

No resistance at all. Several letters back and forth regarding status and the like. To simplify things I called to just say, can the dealer invoice you directly please?

They had no problem with it, although it's very rarely done. I'm surprised they don't insist to reduce likelihood of being subject to exagerated claims.

Compensation hinges on whether the pothole has been reported, i.e. reported before you hit it.

They will argue thet they were unaware if it was not reported to them.

They might argue that, but I'm not so sure that will stand up in court. They have a duty of care and claiming ignorance is not necessarily going to get them off the hook. It's negligent to be that ignorant in the first place...

First let me go on record that I have every sympathy with Richard's situation and I hope that he gets full restitution from the council. However it is pertinent to point out that the physics involved seriously put into question the present obsession with lower and lower profile tyres for fractional gains in handling performance against durability.

Very pertinent comment grober. I was thinking exactly the same when reading the posts about how scandalous it is that Councils are now paying out too much in claims.

I also hope Richard makes a successful claim but realise that if his heavy car was shod with 16" rims and decent profile tyres we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But then peeps wouldn't be able to have a good whinge, would they..:eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Very pertinent comment grober. I was thinking exactly the same when reading the posts about how scandalous it is that Councils are now paying out too much in claims.

I also hope Richard makes a successful claim but realise that if his heavy car was shod with 16" rims and decent profile tyres we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But then peeps wouldn't be able to have a good whinge, would they..:eek: :rolleyes:

All very true re low profile tyres, large rims etc but at the same time given what we pay in taxes, council tax, VED, fuel duty etc is it really right that the roads are in such bad condition. We pay waay over the odds for our roads (according to a senior EU politician) so I don't think its unreasonable to expect a surface that hasn't got 5 inch pot hole in it :rolleyes:

It seems to be that the roads are so bad that a SUV (without the gangster low pro tyres and large rims) will be a neceessity to negociate the urban sprawl. And then they'll Nab us for CO2.

Tell you, its a big scam...

All very true re low profile tyres, large rims etc but at the same time given what we pay in taxes, council tax, VED, fuel duty etc is it really right that the roads are in such bad condition. We pay waay over the odds for our roads (according to a senior EU politician) so I don't think its unreasonable to expect a surface that hasn't got 5 inch pot hole in it :rolleyes:

Tell you, its a big scam...

But on the part of whom..??

Years ago the roads were just as bad but cars were lighter and had smaller steel wheels with 80 series tyres.
Even with the cart spring suspension they were able to absorb severe road shocks so there were no claims for compensation.

Now people want race track, lightweight, wheels and tyres to support heavy cars with stiff suspension, then expect to claim for any damage so Councils end up spending all the road repair money on claims, so there is no cash left to actually repair the roads.
It has become a vicious circle.

Not in this case, maybe, but large alloy rims have a tendency to deform in lightweight shock situations.

Are they suitable for road use.? Should the owner be accepting a higher level of risk.?

Sorry to hear about the damage, and good luck with the claim which will go one of two ways: 1) the LA (actually, their insurers) will do the decent thing and cough up with good grace, or 2) they will claim that they have an inspection and defect correction regime in place which provides a statutory defence against the claim and you will have to fight it.

In the current economic climate, and with the massive number of potholes on our roads at the moment my money would be on #2 :(

There is an issue these days with all forms of long term investment/development. The roads, the power grid, all other types of essential infrastructure have been deprived of long term investment for decades.

We live in a short term society. It's considered better to spend cash on all kinds of short term fixes (or kludges), rather than put in place a long term vision and strategy. It's to do with election-driven cycles that do not inspire decision makers to adopt a longer term view, but also with a societal focus on the here and now (bank bonuses anyone??) rather than on long term sustainability and development.

We keep things together (just), but there is no fundamental renewal, let alone development.

Adding to Guido's analysis of why we are where we are, I would add that there was a significant shift throughout the 1980's from the "maintain it regularly to prevent failure" approach for most public assets to a "fix it when it breaks" approach. This was because it reduced revenue expenditure to support tax cuts. We are now paying the price for that approach.

But on the part of whom..??

Years ago the roads were just as bad but cars were lighter and had smaller steel wheels with 80 series tyres.
Even with the cart spring suspension they were able to absorb severe road shocks so there were no claims for compensation.

Now people want race track, lightweight, wheels and tyres to support heavy cars with stiff suspension, then expect to claim for any damage so Councils end up spending all the road repair money on claims, so there is no cash left to actually repair the roads.
It has become a vicious circle.

Not in this case, maybe, but large alloy rims have a tendency to deform in lightweight shock situations.

Are they suitable for road use.? Should the owner be accepting a higher level of risk.?

A very interesting post which is food for thought for sure but I come back to that favourite of mine. Taxation.

Ages ago we didn't have such excessive VED, tax for fuel and general taxation in general. Driving costs more now and as a result of this peoples expectations of the roads are greater, and quite rightly so. It seems that although taxation has moved on (actually it hasn't, as I don't see paying more as an improvement) we'd have expected and hoped that roads have moved on just like the cars we drive.

Look at in another way, this government wants to coax us into low Co2 vehicles, perhaps it could bribe us back with more road improvements. You need a big heavy car to negociate in comfort these roads.

A very interesting post which is food for thought for sure but I come back to that favourite of mine. Taxation.

Ages ago we didn't have such excessive VED, tax for fuel and general taxation in general. Driving costs more now and as a result of this peoples expectations of the roads are greater, and quite rightly so. It seems that although taxation has moved on (actually it hasn't, as I don't see paying more as an improvement) we'd have expected and hoped that roads have moved on just like the cars we drive.

Look at in another way, this government wants to coax us into low Co2 vehicles, perhaps it could bribe us back with more road improvements. You need a big heavy car to negociate in comfort these roads.

Alternatively you could just look where you are going..;)

Having said that I had a successful claim from Islington Council a few years back after wrecking my motorbike wheels on a large hole that 'popped out' from under the car in front. Try not to follow traffic so closely these days.

If you want to see some shocking roads, take a trip around Indonesia, more pothole than tarmac :D

Best roads I've seen are in Spain, miles of lovely smooth tarmac with gentle sweeping bends. No idea how much road tax they pay.

Ade

Alternatively you could just look where you are going..;)

Having said that I had a successful claim from Islington Council a few years back after wrecking my motorbike wheels on a large hole that 'popped out' from under the car in front. Try not to follow traffic so closely these days.

If you want to see some shocking roads, take a trip around Indonesia, more pothole than tarmac :D

Best roads I've seen are in Spain, miles of lovely smooth tarmac with gentle sweeping bends. No idea how much road tax they pay.

Ade

Not sure about Spain but my mum, who lives in Portugal, pays about €35 a year for her (98 reg) Fiesta. So probably not as much as we do!!

It seems that although taxation has moved on (actually it hasn't, as I don't see paying more as an improvement) we'd have expected and hoped that roads have moved on just like the cars we drive.

Didn't we find out some time ago that indeed the taxation hasn't really increased over a number of years.?
I think people need to be more aware of their own risk and not be so ready to claim compensation if they run unsuitable vehicles.
We are seeing the results of Compensation Culture.

It's going to cost all of us a lot more eventually for some peoples short term gain.

p.s. Looking at the O/P's pictures I would say those wheels can be straightened without issue.

I'm not sure i agree with you or Grober in this case. The E55 AMG comes with 17" tyres from the factory mainly becuase the car has so much power that it requires low profile and wide tyres.

If it were me on the other hand who hit this pothole and you and grober would've made comments about the profile of my tyres, i'd compeltely agree with you. I drive a 200bhp car that doesn't specifically require 245/35/18 and 225/40/18 tyres.

Thank you all for your posts so far, it has provoked quite a response.

To answer some and to keep the thread going.

lewyboy

I contacted a local resident and they confirmed the hole was at least 4 weeks old; it was filled in the Wednesday following my mishap but before my claim was in.

Vlad

I have the photos with a ruler and sent them with my claim so I hope this helps.

Seamster15

I had to get the car fixed the vibration was very bad. It is not the sort of thing that can wait for a council to deal with on their time table, I use the car daily. I also needed to replace the front tyre that was beyond repair.

grober

Take your point but these are 18" wheels as supplied by the factory and have lasted 58,000 miles without a problem. I agree we have to be sensible so should the councils in maintaining the roads in a good if not perfect state of repair rather than the conditions we are all forced to drive on at the moment.

lil.smartie

Good luck to.

Baron Samedi

....because it filled about 50% of the carriage way I could use, I could not swerve to miss it as traffic was coming in the opposite direction, it was night the road is unlit and as the road surface for some distance had already partially collapsed it was not readily picked up in my lights. I have pictures of this to support my claim.

SG CL500

The very same!

MBManInKen, ***, st13phil & Bobby Dazzler

Agree and thank you.

Dieselman & grober

I don't want a race track either, just roads that are maintained in a timely manner. Where severe damage has occurred and a serious hazard pertains and they can't be repaired quickly, then a warning and that road section is coned off until it can.

As Government has decided not to invest in maintaining the road infrastructure then claims like mine will ensue. I don't subscribe to that short term view and don't think the use of alloy wheels can be used as an excuse.

I had alloy wheels in the 80's on my VW Golf and don't recall driving around so many pot holes or general road damage.

Didn't we find out some time ago that indeed the taxation hasn't really increased over a number of years.?
I think people need to be more aware of their own risk and not be so ready to claim compensation if they run unsuitable vehicles.
We are seeing the results of Compensation Culture.

It's going to cost all of us a lot more eventually for some peoples short term gain.

p.s. Looking at the O/P's pictures I would say those wheels can be straightened without issue.

Not according to my Mercedes Benz dealer. I feel it unwise to ignore that advice. Anyway the saving, if there is any, is the difference between the repair, the hire car cost during repair, any other costs involved and the cost of the new wheel together with the total peace of mind that will bring.

Why is my car "unsuitable"?

I refute any suggestion that I am attempting to make a short term gain, I am not sure in what other than the repair of my vehicle and quite honestly I have better things to spend my time on.

Regards

Richard

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom