How to get an extra 5k miles out of baldy tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Trivia time - why did people always want Michelin HGV tyres.

I used to groove slick qualifying tyres when racing karts in the wet back in the day .

Matt :banana:

There's always been a good argument running it to the 1.6mm limit !

Just got this text for my friend who loves this kind of thing.

“It’s still a thing for hgv tyres mate, when the bus tyres get to the markers, I’ll buy the tool for about £50, set the depth & follow the existing tread pattern. Then mark the sidewall as xre-cut and get another 50k miles out of them. THEN, I’ll send them away to have all the treads cut off back to the casing & re-tread for about £100 per tyre, or £150 for a regroveable re-tread! (which is a lot less than the £350 per tyre new) But i definitely wouldn’t b trying it on the car tyres🤣

I love those old newspaper adverts.

Someone I know told me of a guy that used to advertise in the Sunday papers - He eventually ended up emigrating for some reason!

Obviously, payment was sent first and the prices were very, very cheap - I've made up the prices below.

6 Steel Coat Hangers. Easy to fit. 10d.

Box of 50 Firelighters 10d.

The coat hangers were 6 steel nails.

The 50 firelighters was a box of matches.

He also did some door-to-door scam using women as the sales team involving the Old Moore's Almanac that, IIRC got him in more trouble than the above cons.

Tough on the recipients, but I sort of admire these sort of scams. :D:D

I seem to remember in 1996 I was given a new Land Rover 110 overseas as a company car the instruction for the Avon tyres could be re-cut, grooved

Trivia time - why did people always want Michelin HGV tyres.

Not sure about HGV - but I seem to remember that their car tyres had a reputation for lasting more miles than the competition...

Didn't they get a light up Michelin man with hgv tyres?

Back in the days of UK remould tyres manufacturers like Colway used to use Michelin tyre carcasses to make their remoulds due to the high quality construction. Colway used to make rally car gravel & tarmac tyres so they were a quality product. Still have a set of Colway M&S tyres for my w201.

That industry has now gone due to the emergence of Chinese ditch finder brands being cheaper than UK made remoulds.

Not sure about HGV - but I seem to remember that their car tyres had a reputation for lasting more miles than the competition...

Between retreading and regrooving - you could effectively get 4 "lifetimes" out of a HGV tyre carcass.

^^^Good job the sidewalls never wear out or get damaged ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom