How to get Google Chrome to update automatically?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
I have two Win10 machines at home, and on both of them Chrome seems to rely on me manually going into 'help, about' to trigger a search for updates. I can't see anything in the settings relating to updates, and from a quick Google, Chrome is meant to auto-update? What am I missing :dk:

I use Chrome on Windows 10 at work and tend to keep my computer running during the week, only shutting it down on Friday afternoons, and I've found in the past that Chrome then needs to be restarted to install updates.

If you reboot your PC every day then I would expect Chrome to update itself automatically when you start it up.

I *think* there's a slightly different version of Chrome for business (or at least it's configured differently). I remember looking at the 'help, about' page at work and the bit about the version number etc. wasn't the same. I would expect some kind of mechanism to push out updates when desired, rather than them installing automatically when released by Google.

My main PC at home is running all day every day and always has a full shut down at night. The laptop I have in my workshop is only used a couple of times a week but I do use a few Chrome apps on that so I always do a manual check for updates first. When it finds and installs one I check my main PC (where I just use Chrome for web browsing), and it always installs the same update. So it hasn't picked it up previously.

Having done an update Chrome prompts to re-launch to complete the installation.

Apologies for thread hijack of sorts but on my Android tablet (Nexus 10 running Lollipop) when I open Chrome, within a minute another tab opens up with a pop up mid screen advising that I have won Tesco or argos or the like vouchers and click here......

Clicking on the X on the tab closes it down, but this may reoccur at anytime time whilst using Chrome.
Pop ups are off in settings, i have run malware and Ccleaner but whatever is in there won't come out..
Is there someway to uninstall Chrome so that I can download a fresh, clean copy?

I scan the internet, but cannot find a fix or solution for this frustrating issue.

Any help appreciated.....

Apologies for thread hijack of sorts but on my Android tablet (Nexus 10 running Lollipop) when I open Chrome, within a minute another tab opens up with a pop up mid screen advising that I have won Tesco or argos or the like vouchers and click here......

Clicking on the X on the tab closes it down, but this may reoccur at anytime time whilst using Chrome.
Pop ups are off in settings, i have run malware and Ccleaner but whatever is in there won't come out..
Is there someway to uninstall Chrome so that I can download a fresh, clean copy?

I scan the internet, but cannot find a fix or solution for this frustrating issue.

Any help appreciated.....

See if this link helps https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2765944?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=3227046

Apologies to BTB 500

Yup I've read through the support pages - they describe how it's meant to work though!

Just checked my version of Chrome which prompted an update from Version 51.0.2704.103 m to Version 52.0.2743.82 m

This is the first time that I've used the option in many years of using Chrome, so I assume that previous updates have been automatically installed.
Had a quick look at the Help pages, but can't see a definitive answer.

BTB 500 & Mike

Back on your point, you are doing better than I.
My Sony phone is running Marshmallow \6.0.1 and Chrome is the 51 version you have just updated from

I guess PC and Android updates are issued separately.
Chrome on my PC is still on 51 though according to my minion (daughter) who checked for me.

I too cannot find help on the help pages to this (or my tablets pop up issue)

Will keep looking

Last edited:
So I had this again today, on both PCs.

The Chrome menu hadn't changed colour (indicating an update was available)
There was no 'update Chrome' option on the menu
But ... going into 'Help, About Google Chrome' found and installed an updated version.

Identical behaviour on both computers. Very strange, and a bit annoying.

Exactly what I experience, except on my Android phone and tablet, where the Chrome app always auto-updates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom