How to Get Paint Splatters off of Car Exterior?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercC350Coupe2011

Car
Mercedes C350 coupe AMG sport 2dr 2011
Hello everyone,

My newly bought second hand Mercedes C350 has some paint splatters( lot's of tinny white dots from someone who was painting something else) on the roof and in the rear window.

In the rear window I was able to remove the paint by using some plastic trim removers which have a flat and sharp front head. However I am struggling to take off any splatters in the roof paint.

Any suggestions on how can I remove the old paint without damaging the car paint? I want to remove the splatters before I apply the polish and gloss protection products I have bought.

I have found on the interent these links:

Lots of WD40 and lots of elbow grease... before you move on to TFR as a last resort.

Depends how large the splats are. If small, and you have nothing more important to do, flick em off with your thumbnail. Like peeling scabs but more satisfying.

Depends how large the splats are. If small, and you have nothing more important to do, flick em off with your thumbnail. Like peeling scabs but more satisfying.
I have tried that unsuccessfully. They are quite small but because I guess they have been there for a while they have become hard.

Nail polish remover , because of acetone .
I was thinking that but I am afraid of damaging the car paint. In fact I have got alchohol blending solution which is quite close to nail polish remover. Do you think that this will not damage the car paint?

Get a low grip clay mitt (light rubbing).......the surface of the car was not prepped for the paint to stick to & it should come off easily. Don't use solvent etc.

I was thinking that but I am afraid of damaging the car paint. In fact I have got alchohol blending solution which is quite close to nail polish remover. Do you think that this will not damage the car paint?
Acetone!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????
No way Jose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW are the splats emulsion or gloss?

Acetone!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????
No way Jose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW are the splats emulsion or gloss?
What's the difference really? How can I understand the difference?

It all depends what the 'splats' are. I spent 20 years working in a bodyshop and I would at first use a small amount of thinner on a clean rag and a dry cloth to wipe off - small areas at a time.
However, I would NOT recommend that you do this unless you know what you are doing and can identify both your existing paintwork (e.g. is it OEM) and whatever the splat is. As others have pointed out, there is a difference between, for example, emulsion and gloss
Plan B is polish it off. Harder work but likely to be successful

HI
I had really tiny small spots of paint all over my car from parking to near a dry dock at work where they were painting the super structure of a ferry.
I just used a clay bar, the spots were everywhere on the car so after removing them with clay I then polished and wxed the whole car took a good few hours but was really worth the effort.

Clay bar it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom