How to get rid of a scratch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

I'm in the process of preparing my father-in-laws black Astra ready for sale and there is a scratch about 6" long on the rear quarter.

I would normally send for it to be mopped, but it's not too deep and I would like to repair it myself. The scratch isn't deep, if you felt it with your eyes closed you wouldn't think it was there.

In my ****nal of valeting products I have the proverbial T-Cut, Turtle Wax Colour Repair with the black chipstick and also some 1500 grit sandpaper. I also have associated finishing products such as polish & wax etc.

I can upload a photo in a couple of hours if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a picture

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have a go with T-Cut Metallic at first. It's less abrasive than original T-Cut so less chance of dulling the paintwork.
After T-Cutting, I would think dark grey Colour Magic would be the way to go.

I thought the T cut polishes were all too abrasive?
:confused:

There is a product call T-Cut Metallic.

I'd agree with Ringway there Sweetpea - a vigorous bit of elbow grease followed by a wash and good ol' wax should hopefully see most of it disappear.

Many years ago I had good results using the chipstick, also on a black car - ok it wasn't a real repair but for the sake of 'hiding' the scratch it did ok.

Work the chipstick into to the scratch rubbing up and down either side of it until the wax stick fills it, then use the colour polish over the top, when done apply the wax you have - job done

I've nearly finished the repair.

I'll post a picture up in 15 minutes.

What does everyone think?
I've used; a bit of T-Cut, a bit of 1500 grit and a fair amount of Turtle Wax Colour Magic.

What does everyone think?
I've used; a bit of T-Cut, a bit of 1500 grit and a fair amount of Turtle Wax Colour Magic.

Can't see that much of the scratch, but the clouds in the reflection make it difficult to see the repair properly. :dk:

Good result - I have even seen someone take a fine nib permenant black marker to a scratch on a black car before. Ok bit naughty but do you know what, it did the job.

As you said cars being sold, certainly looks a million times better :O)

That's my last go.

Good job there SP, i'd be happy with that - stick on a couple of hundred on the price for your troubles :)

^^ lol Sweetpea is secretly a detailer in the making yet.

Great result, jobs a goodun :O)

Well, me being me, I couldn't just leave it could I?

Just in the process of polishing/waxing the car and I'll post some more pictures...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom