How to get some more noise out of exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Anyone got any advice on what can be done to a w209 clk 320 to get some more noise out of the exhaust.
Would like a deep gurgle haha, been told about muffler delete, second cat etc etc but am extremely confused.
Last thing I want is an MOT fail :)
Cheers

Replace the Centre resonated with straight pipes/X pipe.

Merry Christmas! and any recommendations where u could buy such a contraption ? ;) cheers

Any exhaust fabricator will do it ... I used Longlife in Carshalton for my SL. Took about an hour and cost around £120 IIRC.

They just cut out the centre silencer (aka 'resonator') and replace it with a straight pipe. No issue for MOT etc. and likely to have only a mild impact on the noise levels. You should declare it for insurance though as it does count as a modification.

If you want more you can then look at removing secondary cats etc. Best to do it in stages IMHO.

Thanks guys, bill how much louder was it with the resonator removed? I'd like it to be noticeably louder

The difference was worthwhile but not huge on my SL ... hard to predict with other cars. You need to be a bit careful because ideally you still want it fairly quiet when cruising on a long run.

I went to school with a kid who drilled holes in his exhaust to make it louder. The police pulled him 'cos of all the racket it was making, breathalysed him and did him for drink driving.

Excessive noise is an MOT fail now, although this is a subjective test and I've not personally heard of anyone falling foul of it.

M-B have increased exhaust sound on some models over the years to make them sound more 'sporty' e.g. on the R129 SL they dropped the centre silencer in the '99 facelift. My '97 with the centre silencer removed and 200 cell sports cats in place of the standard ones is still pretty restrained ... M-B back boxes are very effective.

[YOUTUBE HD]5FLwN7hma4c[/YOUTUBE HD]

My 4200 Maser is pretty loud now & not had any issues with last 2 MOT's. Not heard any one fail an MOT yet & there are a few Maser's on the SM forum louder than mine. It is a nice noise though

Hadn't heard the later '99 cars had the centre silencer dropped. I'll have to have a look to see if mine is missing it.

Anyone got any advice on what can be done to a w209 clk 320 to get some more noise out of the exhaust.

I remember as kids we used to fit playing cards to our bicycle's to make them sound annoyingly loud.

I guess some adults have not grown up, and still like things to be noisier than intended.

My advice for anyone wishing to change a part of their exhaust system is if you really must then make sure it can be put back to original again if you want to sell it.
No disrespect to anyone making 'systems on cars' as long life advertise but it will never be as good as the o.e. The hanging points for exhausts are carefully calculated for expansion etc. and unless you jig the part properly to replicate this the chances for problems ( rattling, knocking, system moving due to imbalance) are a lot higher.
The days of simple shaped round and oval cylinders on silencers are all but gone and high volumes needed for good attenuation are realised with pressed forms that 'fit' with the shape of the underbody and its shielding and the system also has an aerodynamic consideration in the design which is often overlooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom