How to import a Google maps route to COMAND

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

From what I read in all sorts of places I should be able to download to my COMAND Online (NTG4.5) a route that I've previously configured via Google Maps using a PC. The manual tells me to send the route to the Mercedes-Benz server and then download to COMAND Online. But I'm suffering brain failure and can't even get past the first step.

Has anyone managed to do this, and if so can you help me?

Follow the steps below first, make sure your phone is paired to comand when you get to importing route:

COMAND Online: Search for a business listing or street address in Google Maps and click on the pin to open the info window. Within the info window select more > Send, and enter your COMAND Online ID, and click Send. Your COMAND Online ID is either your Vehicle Identification Number or email address (you are able to change this in your vehicle under COMAND Online -> Options). These destinations and route are now available on our COMAND Online server for download.

To use the destination and routes in your car, please follow these steps:
  1. Within the COMAND system click the globe symbol in the main application line. The services carousel appears.
  2. Select and click the COMAND Online service tile. The COMAND Online main page loads and is being displayed.
  3. Select and click the Destination/Route Download service tile. A list of routes and destinations available on the COMAND Online server appears.

Last edited:
Unless of course you have an iPhone in which case you are stuffed :(

Thanks Rob. I can now see how that works for a specific location. :thumb:

But I'm obviously thick because I still can't see how to send a detailed ROUTE that I've planned (for 10-day Europe tour). The "more" option doesn't seem to give me the ability to send to car, just email :dk:

But, this is all starting to look a bit achademic now because I just tried to go online for the first time from COMAND and it tells me that my iPhone 5 can't make a data connection :doh:. A few searches here and elsewhere on the Internet tells me that this is an ongoing problem - unless anyone knows otherwise. (Although if I can save the route into my COMAND then I suppose I could use another phone that does work just the once to get it there :dk:)

But, this is all starting to look a bit achademic now because I just tried to go online for the first time from COMAND and it tells me that my iPhone 5 can't make a data connection :doh:. A few searches here and elsewhere on the Internet tells me that this is an ongoing problem - unless anyone knows otherwise. (Although if I can save the route into my COMAND then I suppose I could use another phone that does work just the once to get it there :dk:)

The iPhone is still not compaitable with comand online. A big disappointment considering other manufacturers like BMW have offered similar features with connected drive for some time without the need to pair a phone

(Although if I can save the route into my COMAND then I suppose I could use another phone that does work just the once to get it there :dk:)

Yes that should work provided it is a compaitable phone

But I still can't see how to get a Google ROUTE onto the Mercedes server ready to download.

In google maps click on the link button that is next to the print icon. A window will appear and click on send. Another window will appear, click on car on the option list on the left. Select mercedes-benz from the vehicle make list, enter your vin or the email address that comand online is registered to and click on send.

The route will then be on the mercedes server ready for download using the comand system.

Thanks again Rob. But this is wierd - I'm not getting car on the options list for "Send to:" when I try to send my route. All that's coming up is Email. I get the Send to car option when I have a single route, but when I combine routes into My Places, the Send to Car option is no longer available (nor Send to GPS). Perhaps it's not intended for anything too complicated.

The new google + maps dont have it currently.

If you get it on the pin but not on the route I suspect your seeing from USA google.

login to google from google.co.uk and try again.

You should then see Command id /VIn rather than the USA option mblink ? or something.

However my command ID not VIN currently work :( so still failing at last hurdle :(

S

Hi all, I know this is quite an old thread, but I've been looking for a solution to this for a long time as I use my car for motoring holidays when I never want to take the shortest or quickest route, but rather a pre-planned scenic one.

So, having given up with Google maps, I've written a small program which converts a .gpx file (currently tested with Garmin format) into a Mercedes Comad formatted .gpx file.

Basically, this allows you to pre-plan your route in Mapsource (a Garmin mapping program which is pretty easily found on the net) then convert the file into one you can save to your SD card and pop into your Comand Nav unit. The Comand then let's you navigate the precise route you created on your PC, so you can pre-plan all your routes before you go. :thumb:

It's at V 1.0 stage, which means it'll only convert a single route at a time (the next version with convert gpx files with multiple routes in) so if this means something to anyone and they'd like a copy just message me and I'll send you one.

It's at V 1.0 stage, which means it'll only convert a single route at a time (the next version with convert gpx files with multiple routes in) so if this means something to anyone and they'd like a copy just message me and I'll send you one.

Sounds interesting but at your current message count I'm afraid we cannot message you (so don't interpret there is no interest).

Sounds interesting but at your current message count I'm afraid we cannot message you (so don't interpret there is no interest).

Ah yes, sorry I didn't realise that. I'll try and get my count up!

So, having given up with Google maps, I've written a small program which converts a .gpx file (currently tested with Garmin format) into a Mercedes Comad formatted .gpx file.
I dabbled with that myself a year or so back (Garmin MapSource or BaseCamp produced .gpx to COMAND format) but it wasn't 100% successful, probably because I didn't get the destination syntax quite right. How reliable have you found your conversion routine?

I dabbled with that myself a year or so back (Garmin MapSource or BaseCamp produced .gpx to COMAND format) but it wasn't 100% successful, probably because I didn't get the destination syntax quite right. How reliable have you found your conversion routine?

It works perfectly, but at the moment it's only coded to convert a gpx file with just one route in it. The trick is that the Comand formatted GPX file is actually very basic. It's just a header and a list of waypoints with a start and finish one, however the Garmin gpx file contains colours, waypoint names, bearings etc. So the program just pulls the bits out that are needed and re-writes the file in the correct format with the correct headers and footers. It also transfers the route name so, whatever you call it in Mapsource will get carried across to the file and is recognised by Comand.

There doesn't seem to be any limit to how long the route can be, but Comand can only have one route per file, so the next stage will be to look for multiple routes with the Garmin GPX file and if they exist, write a new separate Comand file for each of the routes.

I'll tidy it up a little and then post a link to it here to download if anyone would find it useful.

Here is the code that does the conversion so you can se what it does and it's pretty well commented. It's in VBA.

Basically it pulls the Garmin GPX file into a single column table with each line of the gpx file in a new record. Then it builds the header, loops through the waypoints adding them to a string, then build a new complete sting with is in the correct format.

My program need the Access runtime to use but that's a free download from the MS site. Once I've written some directions, I'll post it.

Code:
 Private Sub ConvertToMercedes_Click()
 'Copy the Garmin gpx file to a text file for importing.
FileCopy "C:\MBConverter\Garmin.gpx", "C:\MBConverter\Garmin.txt"
 'Import the Garmin GPX file to a table.
DoCmd.RunSavedImportExport "ImportFile"

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim CompleteFile, gpxHeader1, gpxHeader2, RouteName, LastWaypoint, CurrentWaypoint, FirstWPString, WPString, LastWPString, AllWaypoints As String

FirstWPString = " <extensions> <ns2:WptExtension> <ns2:WptUse LastWpt=" & Chr(34) & "false" & Chr(34) & " Use=" & Chr(34) & "start" & Chr(34) & "/> </ns2:WptExtension> </extensions> </rtept>" & Chr(13)
    WPString = " <extensions> <ns2:WptExtension> <ns2:WptUse LastWpt=" & Chr(34) & "false" & Chr(34) & " Use=" & Chr(34) & "attractor" & Chr(34) & "/> </ns2:WptExtension> </extensions> </rtept>" & Chr(13)
    LastWPString = " <extensions> <ns2:WptExtension> <ns2:WptUse LastWpt=" & Chr(34) & "true" & Chr(34) & " Use=" & Chr(34) & "destination" & Chr(34) & "/> </ns2:WptExtension> </extensions> </rtept>" & " </rte></gpx>"

'Get the database and Recordset
    Set dbs = CurrentDb
    Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("RouteData", dbOpenDynaset)
     'Set the header string
    gpxHeader1 = "<?xml version=" & Chr(34) & "1.0" & Chr(34) & " encoding=" & Chr(34) & "UTF-8" & Chr(34) & "?><gpx xmlns=" & Chr(34) & "[url=http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1]GPX 1.1 Schema Documentation[/url]" & Chr(34) & " xmlns:ns2=" & Chr(34) & "[URL]http://www.daimler.com/DaimlerGPXExtensions/V2.4[/URL]" & Chr(34) & " creator=" & Chr(34) & "MBIIS" & Chr(34) & " version=" & Chr(34) & "1.1" & Chr(34) & ">  <rte>"

'Search for the name header record
    rst.FindFirst "[Field1] like '<rte>'"

'Move one record down to the record containing the name
    rst.MoveNext

'Set the route name string
    RouteName = " " & rst![Field1]

'Set the second part of the header
    gpxHeader2 = " <src>Google</src> <extensions> <ns2:RteExtension> <ns2:RouteIconId IconId=" & Chr(34) & "1" & Chr(34) & "/> </ns2:RteExtension> </extensions>"

'Remember the last waypoint.
    rst.FindLast "[Field1] like '*<rtept*'"
    LastWaypoint = rst![Field1]

'Move to the first Waypoint record
    rst.MoveFirst
    rst.FindFirst "[Field1] like '*<rtept*'"

'Set the first Waypoint
    CurrentWaypoint = rst![Field1] & FirstWPString

'Set the main string with the first waypoint.
    AllWaypoints = CurrentWaypoint

'Loop through the records until the last waypoint is found.
    Do
        rst.FindNext "[Field1] like '*<rtept*'"
        CurrentWaypoint = rst![Field1]

'If last waypoint then add relevent string.
        If CurrentWaypoint = LastWaypoint Then
            CurrentWaypoint = rst![Field1] & LastWPString
            AllWaypoints = AllWaypoints & " " & CurrentWaypoint
            Exit Do
        Else
            CurrentWaypoint = rst![Field1] & WPString
        End If

AllWaypoints = AllWaypoints & " " & CurrentWaypoint

Loop

CompleteFile = gpxHeader1 & RouteName & gpxHeader2 & Chr(13) & AllWaypoints
 'Write the gpx string to the text file.
 Dim fso As Object
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim oFile As Object
Dim strPath As String
strPath = "c:\MBConverter\Mercedes.gpx"
 Set oFile = fso.CreateTextFile(strPath)
oFile.WriteLine CompleteFile
oFile.Close
Set fso = Nothing
Set oFile = Nothing
 End Sub

Here is the code that does the conversion so you can se what it does and it's pretty well commented. It's in VBA.

My program need the Access runtime to use but that's a free download from the MS site. Once I've written some directions, I'll post it.

Hello Wiz, I have the same problem and I'm going in to holidays soon and I want to do a pre-planned route.

I have seen your Code but I have never used VBA or worked with Access runtime... and I'm completely lost and I can't put your code to work. Can you please explain me how to make it work or if possible to give your file (if it's too complicated to explain).

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Sure, here it is. It's very basic I'm afraid because I haven't had a chance to work on it since I first got it working; but it does work...

These steps should get you running:

1. If you don't have MS Access 2013 installed, get the free runtime here:

Download Microsoft Access 2013 Runtime from Official Microsoft Download Center

You'll need to pick either the 64 bit or 32 bit version depending on your Windows version.

2. Download the enclosed zip file and unzip the folder "MSConverter" to the root directory of your C: drive.

3. Create your route in Mapsource, please note that Comand doesn't support actual routing or waypoint names (just a string of waypoints) so make sure you click every road you want to route down. It does support route names though, so you can rename the route to something meaningful. Please note that the route name is NOT the same as the file name, you need to name the route from within Mapsource.

4. From the File menu in Mapsource, choose "Save As", then change the File Type to "GPS eXchange format" (.gpx).

5. Browse to the c:\MSConvert directory, then click the file called "Garmin" and click Save. You will be asked to confirm overwrite, click ok.

6. Double click the GarminConvert Icon in the c:\ MBConverter directory.

7. Click the "Convert Button. You should see a message box saying "Conversion successfully completed".

In the c:\MBConverter folder, there is a file called "Mercedes.gpx" copy that into the "Routes" folder on your SD card. If you want to create more than one route, you'll need to rename the files to say "day1", "day2" etc as the Mercedes.gpx file is overwritten with each new convert.

Hope that helps, let me know how you get on. I'll try to do some work on it and make it more like a finished product soon.

Attachments

• MBConverter.zip
    32.5 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Wiz works like a charm!!! Perfect! :thumb:

Excellent :)

I will try to do some work on it over the next week or so. Obvious improvements would be for the program to allow you to browse to the input and output file names and locations, so that you don't have to use the pre-programmed default ones. Also, I want it to create multiple Mercedes compatible output files for a Garmin file which contains more than one route.

Anyway, hope you have a good trip. Don't forget that you can import the route into Google Earth too, then you can zoom down to street view and check out some nice tea stops along the way ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom