How to install DAB+ antenna cable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdwis

Car
W211 - E220 CDi
One of my mate has lent me a stereo with DAB+ facility + mp3 etc.
This DAB+ antenna needs sticking on the windscreen and running the cable all the way from there to the stereo.
I could not find any proper information to do this, not even on youtube, does anyone have any knowledge in installing this. As this seems to me lil scary as it need removing passenger side front panel and then there is (I guess) some Air-Bag thing as well.
Step by step instruction would be really helpful.

If you can remove your existing head unit, which is not very easy (!), and replace it with your new DAB unit, running cable from your windscreen should be the least of your troubles. I installed a DAB windscreen aerial last week, and just tucked the cable into the 'A' pillar trim, then under the glove box over to the central console.There are loads of routes you could take...

(However, mine is an 'external' DAB converter so didn't need to remove fitted head unit)

DAB aerial fitted.jpg

On reading your post again, not sure if you wanted comments on just fitting the aerial, or replacing the whole head unit? Sorry if my response is not helpful at all LOL

Last edited:
Also, if your aerial has a ground on it, use a Dremel or similar to remove the paint on your a pillar, this will increase reception 10 fold.

Make sure the aerial is vertical too, and many sold in the UK are for LHD cars, you will see what Imean when you go to install it.

and just tucked the cable into the 'A' pillar trim, then under the glove box over to the central console.There are loads of routes you could take...
Lucky you, didnt have to remove the stereo.
I have manged to remove the stereo and also fitted an ordinary Pioneer one, just waiting for the Harness to come as the DAB radio has lil different cabling.
When you ran the cable from screen to the stereo was it difficult to run the wire, running from below the glovebox is there any gap anywhere to bring it inside the whole dashboard area where stereo is fitted.

Also, if your aerial has a ground on it, use a Dremel or similar to remove the paint on your a pillar, this will increase reception 10 fold.

Make sure the aerial is vertical too, and many sold in the UK are for LHD cars, you will see what Imean when you go to install it.
Yes mate, the one I ordered has got the Ground connection as well, just waiting for it to be delivered, I was just a bit worried about removing the A pillar panel but will give it a go soon.
:)

I installed a similar unit to the wife's car a year or so ago (not an MB). At the time, I didn't have time to install it properly up the A pillar and grounding it as described above so I connected it up, took it behind the fascia and behind the glovebox and sat it there. It picked up a signal so I left it there to test. A year later and it still gets a very decent signal so I haven't bothered putting it on the windscreen.

You could try using a FM/DAB splitter cable and see if that works
Thanks, thats a nice find, didnt know that something like this does exist, I already ordered the glass one but will see if this is more feasible then would go for this.

I got a sticky window DAB antenna with my android head unit, it was shit, picked up about 12 stations when i was in a known good reception area and cut out pretty much everywhere else.

I fitted a proper roof mount one and it immediately picked up over a hundred stations and only pops and buzzes where the signal is very weak or non existent.

I got a sticky window DAB antenna with my android head unit, it was shit, picked up about 12 stations when i was in a known good reception area and cut out pretty much everywhere else.

I fitted a proper roof mount one and it immediately picked up over a hundred stations and only pops and buzzes where the signal is very weak or non existent.

Was that in the W210 or another car? Might have been due to reflective glass?

I fitted a different style of stick on aerial (though only suitable for older DAB converter unit), and it performs flawlessly. Picks up 57 station which is what I get at home. The 'stick on' often provided in the converter box is usually horrible, flimsy, looks awful, and often doesn't work.
Kinetic STIC Amplified DAB car aerial for the Original Pure Highway Glass Window | eBay

Was that in the W210 or another car? Might have been due to reflective glass?

Good point, it was in my E55, The GPS antenna for the same unit is on the dash and seems to have a good strong signal to lots of satellites so maybe DAB frequencies are more sensitive.

I replaced the defunct one at the back of the roof, ran both the cables (it does FM as well, via a separate coax cable) across the passenger side and tucked up into the headlining.

Attachments

• 2018-09-29 13.58.55.jpg
    2018-09-29 13.58.55.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 12
You could try using a FM/DAB splitter cable and see if that works, then you will be using your existing FM aerial.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BT4CYDR/?tag=amazon0e9db-21
Thanks garycat, finally I bought the above, I had already ordered the glass one, but seeing your note and the one from popuptoaster I thought better to use inbuilt antenna and so went for the amplified one.
Just for ref, I did try the glass one and it did pick less stations then the amplified one, so went for it finally.
No sticking anything to the glass and no running wires. no such hassles.
Thanks all of you for such niece input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom