HOW TO INSTALL/HARDWIRE 12V SOCKET DASH CAM W212

OM651

Car
W212
How you can hardwire dash cam with 12v socket extender. You not need to take power from same place but had to fix original 12v socket that's why I put it all way back there but still it was really easy and the cable was long. You can use 12v output you prefer.

AW8

Car
S212 E220CDI Blue Efficiency SE Edition 125 Estate (7G+Auto - 2011)
Thanks OM651.. Is the rear cabin socket permanent live ? ( I have a piggyback fuse hardwire kit for permanent live to support dashcam with parking mode). I have posted a query elsewhere also.

OP
OP
OM651

OM651

Car
W212
Thanks OM651.. Is the rear cabin socket permanent live ? ( I have a piggyback fuse hardwire kit for permanent live to support dashcam with parking mode). I have posted a query elsewhere also.
No it’s only same function as when you use it normal in 12v output but preferred this don’t have to bother about the cable at all and it’s starts automatic when car goes on. In this case with garmin they sell another cable kit to use it for permanent live surveillance mode when something move when it parked, but not really needing it in mine town pretty low crime here.

AW8

Car
S212 E220CDI Blue Efficiency SE Edition 125 Estate (7G+Auto - 2011)
Thanks for update.

Not in a high crime area.

In last 24hrs I have done more research. The hardwire kit I have is same brand as my dash cam & has a cut out so the camera stops working when main car battery voltage below 11.6v. That is still arguably putting the battery in a low charge state. It will probably still start the car but I am not keen on regularly running the battery that low. No good having parking mode if battery life or battery performance suffers.

If later motivated I may consider a 3rd party programmable hardwire kit. These can have min voltage shut off &/or timer both adjustable, (downside is that if set at higher voltage it would offer less stand by time before full shut down).

I can't be fussed with battery packs etc.....As it sits now, wires out of sight & I can remove all kit & cables in 30 mins.. 12v supply via glove box socket.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom