HOW TO INSTALL/HARDWIRE 12V SOCKET DASH CAM W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OM651

Car
W212
How you can hardwire dash cam with 12v socket extender. You not need to take power from same place but had to fix original 12v socket that's why I put it all way back there but still it was really easy and the cable was long. You can use 12v output you prefer.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks OM651.. Is the rear cabin socket permanent live ? ( I have a piggyback fuse hardwire kit for permanent live to support dashcam with parking mode). I have posted a query elsewhere also.

Thanks OM651.. Is the rear cabin socket permanent live ? ( I have a piggyback fuse hardwire kit for permanent live to support dashcam with parking mode). I have posted a query elsewhere also.

No it’s only same function as when you use it normal in 12v output but preferred this don’t have to bother about the cable at all and it’s starts automatic when car goes on. In this case with garmin they sell another cable kit to use it for permanent live surveillance mode when something move when it parked, but not really needing it in mine town pretty low crime here.

Thanks for update.

Not in a high crime area.

In last 24hrs I have done more research. The hardwire kit I have is same brand as my dash cam & has a cut out so the camera stops working when main car battery voltage below 11.6v. That is still arguably putting the battery in a low charge state. It will probably still start the car but I am not keen on regularly running the battery that low. No good having parking mode if battery life or battery performance suffers.

If later motivated I may consider a 3rd party programmable hardwire kit. These can have min voltage shut off &/or timer both adjustable, (downside is that if set at higher voltage it would offer less stand by time before full shut down).

I can't be fussed with battery packs etc.....As it sits now, wires out of sight & I can remove all kit & cables in 30 mins.. 12v supply via glove box socket.

Last edited:
How you can hardwire dash cam with 12v socket extender. You not need to take power from same place but had to fix original 12v socket that's why I put it all way back there but still it was really easy and the cable was long. You can use 12v output you prefer.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
How do you remove the cig lighter? how do you prise it out?

when my dash cam is plugged into the front 12v socket it affects the dab radio constantly, I wonder if wiring it to the rear like in the vid will help with the interference 🤔 Well something to try on the weekend. I know its a old thread but thanks OM651 :thumb:

when my dash cam is plugged into the front 12v socket it affects the dab radio constantly, I wonder if wiring it to the rear like in the vid will help with the interference 🤔 Well something to try on the weekend. I know its a old thread but thanks OM651 :thumb:
When I had mine installed professionally, both front and rear cams, the installer told me it may affect my DAB. Needless to say, he was right.

Have BV dash cams fitted to the cars and both DAB radios are now useless!!

Interesting about dashcam affecting DAB. This happened in my Lexus a few years ago, I hadn’t come across it before, and true to say the Lexus main dealers hadn’t either, they just couldn’t understand why the DAB was useless!

However, the same camera, removed from the Lexus, is now installed in the same manner in my Skoda, with no effect whatsoever on the DAB reception.

(Installation method is piggy back fuse to trailing female ciggy socket with camera’s OE plug inserted, all hidden up behind the dash)

So, is it the camera, or the car?

TBH I have no idea, but the fact it has happened to both the ML & CLS, I am going to go with the cameras. Mine are both hardwired in, I believe to the overhead control panel. I have tried fitting a ferrous core around the cable going to the dash cam, but it there is not enough exposed cable to be able to fit it :(

Additional thought, Mrs B’s Nissan’s DAB isn’t affected by the dashcam either, same installation method and routing - cable up behind the A pillar trim, and tucked behind the headlining to the camera

Dash cam selection .

Motion detection is a bit... as it triggers too many false recordings Vs G shock .

Hardwire kit with 11.6V , that's a dead battery , choose a camera that can be hardwired with a standby wake up parking mode upon G shock also with selectable shut down times ie does not stop recording for an hour when parked in a supermarket car park.

Built in battery is asking for trouble , capacitor .

Suction cup mount , noooo , 3M sticky pad .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom