How to know which updates and recalls have been done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

Hi,

I'm the very proud new owner of a 57 (first registered in 02, 2008) C280 W204.

The previous owner was a businessman who had the car from new. It's now just ticked onto 82k. It's got a very comprehensive (at least the most comprehensive I've ever seen) service book full of stamps.

But there's no mention of any software updates or that scary sounding timing chain sprocket thing that might go bang at some point having been repaired. (that is the 3L V6 isn't it?)

Is there a way I can check up on what's been done and what hasn't, and if that recall for the sprocket hasn't, can it be done now, for free?

Thanks, Mike.

You can check on the VOSA site for recalls on cars.

You could also contact the dealer - I would guess the previous owner had it serviced at the same dealer?

I'm not sure.

The VIN number does come between two of the recalls, but again I've no way of knowing if it's been done, and neither suggest anything about that sprocket. One says that fuel may leak, and the other says that the engine may cut out...

The car was serviced by Mercedes-Benz in 2010 and 2011 and Some other garage for the rest of them up until now.

Would Mercedes have done the recalls as a matter of course, or would they be optional/have to be requested?

When I checked the recalls on mine, I contacted MB customer services I think it was (based in Belgium I think) and they were able to tell me which ones had been done (because the car has to go to MB to have the recall work done).

It's entirely possible that when the car was in at MB, recalls were done but if there were any post-2011, they would have to be arranged and the car taken in specifically if not servicing at MB at that stage.

Software updates will only be done as part of servicing at MB I would have thought - unless within the scope of a recall.

Thanks, I'll contact them tomorrow.

I work just round the corner from a huge Merc dealership (they have SLSs and AMG everything :devil: ) So I'm going to get a plan to have the car serviced there from now on.

On a side note, does nobody else think that the official service schedule is far too sparse? On my previous cars, I've changed the oil whenever it stopped being honey coloured, easily every 2.5~3k miles, but with the Merc it's every 10k or something. :eek: :dk: There's no problem if I replace the oil between services is there... :confused:

I just looked back and I emailed MB customer services:

[email protected]

You can change the oil as often as you want although I would hang on to the receipts as I am not sure it will be documented in the service history otherwise...

I would consider using an independent given the car is coming up to 7 years old - or at least get a quote on up and coming work.

Independents can be a lot cheaper on the labour rate.

If you post up roughly which area you are from - there is probably a trusted independent not far.

It's your choice of course.

But there's no mention of any software updates or that scary sounding timing chain sprocket thing that might go bang at some point having been repaired. (that is the 3L V6 isn't it?)

Is there a way I can check up on what's been done and what hasn't, and if that recall for the sprocket hasn't, can it be done now, for free?
VOSA Recalls are only ever safety related matters. Regardless of the age of the vehicle the Registered Keeper is contacted through the DVLA and then the manufacturer picks up the bill for the repair. It's highly unlikely that your car was subject to a recall, and even less likely that remedial work was not carried out if it was.

Separately to any Recalls, a manufacturer may choose to automatically carry out certain works during the warranty period, but this will normally only happen if the car is serviced by a main dealer (which most are while under warranty). Software updates are automatically applied as part of the standard service activity if carried out by a main dealer.

As far as the timing chain / balancer chain & sprocket issue on some M272 engines is concerned, AFAIK this was only repaired under warranty if the vehicle was presented with the fault during the warranty period. If the car has a full main dealer service history then some owners have received a goodwill contribution towards the repair work. You can check the affected engine number range in this thread. If your car engine isn't in the affected range, then nothing needs doing. If it is in the affected range but isn't exhibiting a fault there's nothing to be done.

Hi, Thanks Phil that's very helpful.

You say "if it is in the range, but isn't exhibiting a fault, there's nothing to be done". Do you mean that if it's not showing an issue now, it never will, or are you saying if it's going to be a problem in the future, there's no way of knowing now, so nothing to de done (until it screws up)?

I'll check the engine number tomorrow. (after I've tried to find where the engine number is! :eek: )

Thanks.

i-CONICA said:
...or are you saying if it's going to be a problem in the future, there's no way of knowing now, so nothing to de done (until it screws up)?
^ This. You could choose to have the motor taken apart and the parts replaced, but that's an expensive course of action if they're not actually faulty.

At what milage do the timing chain sprocket fail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom