How to launch an automatic ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adrianlobont

Car
E-Class 350 CDI Sport Edition 265 Bhp
Hi guys,
How safe is to launch an automatic Mercedes from time to time by holding the brake and depressing the accelerator pedal ?

Safer than letting a pretty woman lay on the bonnet of a Mercedes wearing heals ;) lol

But if you have her number that would be great just so i can make sure im correct pmsl

Depends what's in front of you when you step off the brake.

Suspect the traction control would cut power pretty much as soon as the rear wheels started spinning.

I wouldn't do it repeatedly in the same run as you'll overheat the torque converter and maybe gearbox, but with cool down time in between it's fine.

Once you've done a couple brake stands in the dry, you'll stop worrying about launching the car damaging anything...

It's heat that causes damage, so just don't be daft and allow heat to build by doing it at every set of lights.

Ok :)
I'll turn the traction control off
TCS - off
ECO - off
S mode - on

Maybe the thread should be titled 'How to lunch an automatic'?

Ok :)
I'll turn the traction control off
TCS - off
ECO - off
S mode - on

Can you turn it off completely? On my 220 and 203 even when 'off' it would still kick in if you tried too hard to get tail happy. Might not be the same on later models. I've never tried in my 212.

Just for fun, once in a while
I mean something like 2/3 times a yer, just want to know if is safe for the car

I'm not sure if TCS is going off completely but... worth trying

I do it a lot.

ESP off and let rip...if jumps out of the starting blocks quite dramatically ( this is the 320 I'm talking about BTW).

I can turn the ESP (and ABS) off completely by disconnecting the unit under the back seat...but I've never tried the launch with it disconnected.

I was sat next to a Scooby (not sure which one or how old) a couple of weeks ago at a set of lights! I wasn't going to launch first so just waited to see what the fellow was going to do!

He took off and as there was no traffic for miles I thought what the heck let me see if I could keep up! I took off steadily before hitting the gas, the old girl sat up started growling and I was gone. :devil:

Not sure if he missed a gear or hit turbo lag but he was toast, he eventually caught up at a set of lights but he was 3 cars back. I felt sorry for the young guy as I think he was really surprised, I have no badges on the rear so how was he to know :eek: :D

Boats are 'launched', are they not LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom