How to launch an automatic ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And lots of modern fast automatics come with launch control built in. :rolleyes:

I was sat next to a Scooby (not sure which one or how old) a couple of weeks ago at a set of lights! I wasn't going to launch first so just waited to see what the fellow was going to do!

He took off and as there was no traffic for miles I thought what the heck let me see if I could keep up! I took off steadily before hitting the gas, the old girl sat up started growling and I was gone. :devil:

Not sure if he missed a gear or hit turbo lag but he was toast, he eventually caught up at a set of lights but he was 3 cars back. I felt sorry for the young guy as I think he was really surprised, I have no badges on the rear so how was he to know :eek: :D

No idea but I think some people equate age of car with performance and probably anything that is not up to date is going to be slow.

I've seen off a not-bad-performing Impreza with a huge exhaust before and even a Lancer FQ360 - including bends.

I suppose it feels quick to them but they don't realise how fast some cars can be...

Probably 99% of cars are slower than what they drive but the odd one catches them out. Perhaps they only look for supercars and Nissan GT-Rs!

No idea but I think some people equate age of car with performance and probably anything that is not up to date is going to be slow.

I've seen off a not-bad-performing Impreza with a huge exhaust before and even a Lancer FQ360 - including bends.

I suppose it feels quick to them but they don't realise how fast some cars can be...

Probably 99% of cars are slower than what they drive but the odd one catches them out. Perhaps they only look for supercars and Nissan GT-Rs!

Seriously? The same Lancer FQ360 that does 0-62mph in 4.1 seconds? Faster than a Porsche 911 GT3? I think it's you who doesn't realise how fast some cars can be cause you met one that wasn't driven properly.

Russ

Seriously? The same Lancer FQ360 that does 0-62mph in 4.1 seconds? Faster than a Porsche 911 GT3? I think it's you who doesn't realise how fast some cars can be cause you met one that wasn't driven properly.

Indeed. I can only speak as I find.

Russ

You do realise that a stock E55 can do the 0-60 in around 4.5 seconds depending on where you get your figures.

John's is mapped and well over stock so a good launch v one not so good and you're history.

You do realise that a stock E55 can do the 0-60 in around 4.5 seconds depending on where you get your figures.

John's is mapped and well over stock so a good launch v one not so good and you're history.

Yup - mine happily did a Racelogic-timed 4.1s when running 510BHP.

Next I guess I will have imagined I killed the Ferrari Cali the other day.

:rolleyes: :D

Russ

The problem with a lot of these jap machines is 0-60 is it then it's game over. The GTR wasn't as fast as I suspected unless it's launched after 60mph it isn't all that fast from my experience I have to say.

Absolutely, I think that a lot of youngsters have no clue what they are trying to overtake :wallbash: I guess it doesn't help that there are loads more AMG badged cars (without the engine) than there used to be! :confused:

My Lancer TME is no match against the 63 unless your talking country lanes.Love them both and have the best of both worlds.
Jap cars are awesome in my opinion :)

On the rare occasion when the red mist comes down (a little), I just stand on the pedal and see what happens...

The problem with a lot of these jap machines is 0-60 is it then it's game over. The GTR wasn't as fast as I suspected unless it's launched after 60mph it isn't all that fast from my experience I have to say.

Having spoken to someone with a 600BHP GT-R, who had an E55K in the past, he reckoned the GT-R would be quicker to 60 and then the E would reign it in.

I've yet to run up against one - but would enjoy a run in at Woodridge. I know last time a 600BHP one did a 184MPH whilst mine was 179MPH. GT-R will always get a better start with 4WD and launch - neither of which I have.

Clearly some assume because it has "FQ" in the name, it must be the quickest thing on the planet.

For a start, a standard GT-R would have it over and given my car is running 325BHP per ton and the FQ360 is running 261BHP per ton, it's clearly not me who "doesn't realise how fast some cars can be".

:D

I have to admit I only realised after buying my CLK55 how relatively easy it is to get strong gains in performance for V8 AMG's!

It's also clear from this Forum that a lot of people even some Benz owners do not realise just how fast the standard E55K is in the real world never mind a modified one with 325BHP per ton! :eek:

People tend to believe what they want to believe even when the truth is sitting in front them, especially if that truth is a V8 AMG :devil:

Jap cars are awesome in my opinion :)

Personally I think they used to be awesome.
I drove Impreza STI's for years, but they got left behind in about 2006, and later lost the plot.
Even the current car still only has the power of 10 years ago.
Mitsubishi also lost the plot with the EVO.

ShaunB said:
Personally I think they used to be awesome. I drove Impreza STI's for years, but they got left behind in about 2006, and later lost the plot. Even the current car still only has the power of 10 years ago. Mitsubishi also lost the plot with the EVO.

I agree I'll never forget many years ago the first time I saw an evo 4 in yellow ,ever since that moment I had to have one . It took a while but finally got round to buying a clean one owner evo VI TME imported from Japan and love it ,I never got that feeling with the impreza but still appreciate them for what they are Great contrast to the Merc but the Merc is my favourite. :)

given my car is running 325BHP per ton and the FQ360 is running 261BHP per ton, it's clearly not me who "doesn't realise how fast some cars can be".

:D

You did say you beat it including "in the bends", that where it becomes either fantasy or a Lancer driven by a granny.

Russ

Glad I'm not the only one. It's fun to act a bit like a hoodlum now and again, assuming it's safe to do so.

Has anyone tried doing it after accessing the 'hidden' menu. I remember seeing a video where they said you could access a setting to make the car launch off the line quicker - I don't know if this is true, or not. Anyone know?

You did say you beat it including "in the bends", that where it becomes either fantasy or a Lancer driven by a granny.

Russ

Yes, because I had a massive head start...

Taking corners quickly is not much use when you are obliterated on the straights.

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one. It's fun to act a bit like a hoodlum now and again, assuming it's safe to do so.

Has anyone tried doing it after accessing the 'hidden' menu. I remember seeing a video where they said you could access a setting to make the car launch off the line quicker - I don't know if this is true, or not. Anyone know?

Dyno mode i think it's called, and ive read rightly or wrongly it removes the the pause you get initially when flooring it from a standstill, But..... its there to protect the box from all that torque. I may of course be wrong.

As far as I recall, Dyno mode also completely switches off some useful driver aid features which many of us are accustomed to. Proceed with much caution..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom