how to make my cls55 handle better

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike746

Car
C63 507
is there a way off making my cls handle better. even in sports 2 setting in wallows in the corners and is almost quite boaty. i took out the c4s tonight which i haven't driven in 6 months and really could notice the difference.
any help or tips would be really helpful

Coilovers? On a car equipped with AIRmatic?

Coilovers? On a car equipped with AIRmatic?
Basically, get rid of airmatic for normal coilover suspension. The car will handle like its on rails :D

Lowering the car with a lowering module might help.

My CLS55 on Sport II setting is very firm and of course lowers automatically as MB designed. Wondering if the OP's system is working correctly?

i took out the c4s tonight which i haven't driven in 6 months and really could notice the difference.

Really? surprised to hear that! :D

It does frustrate me a bit too. Thats after getting out of my wifes Lexus RX ;)
Must admit, i hadnt considered coilovers as an alternative.
Cost of a good set of coilovers probably wouldnt be far off the replacement for one air unit! Hmmmm....

Really? surprised to hear that! :D

It does frustrate me a bit too. Thats after getting out of my wifes Lexus RX ;)
Must admit, i hadnt considered coilovers as an alternative.
Cost of a good set of coilovers probably wouldnt be far off the replacement for one air unit! Hmmmm....

Bilstein Ride control shocks . £2,148.52 (inc. VAT) EACH! :eek:

Bilstein Mercedes CLS (C219) CLS 55 AMG B16 ridecontrol® Damper / Shock Absorber (49-132380)

Cheaper solution -

B16 PSS9 Coilover Suspension Kit - £1,794.78 (inc. VAT)

Bilstein Mercedes CLS (C219) CLS 55 AMG B16 PSS9 Coilover Suspension Kit (48-088763)

How about a lowering module? I only have one left at £750

have you had your rear subframe bushes checked?

had mine changed and it transforms the way the car handles

Don't drop it too far!

8986759149_217d8cba43_o_zps92b682f4.jpg

In a similar position to OP. I have a 911 too. The 2 cars are not comparable. Expecting the CLS55 to handle like or close to a 911 is not reasonable. The CLS is at least 400kg heavier!

Sport II, IMO, is a great setting for a fantastic hoon -- it has certainly worked beautifully on 2 long driving tours in France and Norway that I did last year, as well as 2 track days at Goodwood.

On Sport II car drops 15mm compared to Comfort, and in Sport I, it's 10mm compared to Comfort.

Get your Airmatic checked out, and also check your tyre pressures .. something does not sound right.

Yup mines although an E63 is quite good in sport II and that's what I drive in daily and handles very well for a big 4 dr saloon.

Defo get your Airmatic checked

Agreed, I have ABC on my SL, and it outhandles many cars. The lowering module helps a touch as well including my E39 M5.

ABC is a completely different beast to airmatic and handles much better.

It's good but just doesn't handle aswell. Checked out on star and no problems came up. I'm running 3.2 bar front and rear and have p zeros with good tread

Lower it and it will improve without compromising ride quality.

Lower it and it will improve without compromising ride quality.

But make sure you have the suspension geometry redone, or you'll shred tyres...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom