HOW TO: R230 SL - Change the centre console trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cb1965

Banned
Car
N/A
How to: R230 SL - Change centre console trim

This procedure is useful if you want to remove your centre console trim to get it hydro-dipped for a carbon fibre finish or piano black or any other hydro dipped finish. When I did this I bought a secondhand trim/ashtray cover and had them hydro-dipped so I simply replaced my old ones with the new ones, but you could equally just remove your existing, send them for dipping and then put them back on when you receive them back.

Anyway here is the procedure for removing the centre console trim along with the re-install.

Note that 2003/2004 and some 2005 SLs have a slightly different trim to 2005 on SLs. On the earlier cars the trim 'wraps' round the COMMAND unit whereas on the later cars it stops just under the cup holders beneath the COMMAND unit. The procedure for removing both types of console is similar, but not identical. The differences are mentioned below.

Removing centre console trim

1) Lower the seats as far as possible and move them back as far as possible. Remove the ashtray insert from the ashtray in the centre console.

2) Put the footbrake on and place the car in neutral with the ignition off. On keyless go cars you will need to move the key well away from the vehicle as otherwise the car will repeatedly sound a warning at you asking you to move the gear lever back to park and after about 5 minutes this will become very annoying.

3) Remove the side trims from the console 'tunnel' by gripping the bottom of them and working from the back to the front pulling them away from the tunnel to disengage all the clips and then finally slide them back towards the back of the car to disengage the two front locating lugs. The trims will then be free. See photo below of where to start with removing these. You will have to work them round the seat pad as even on their lowest setting the seats still interfere slightly with the removal process.

centre_console_01_zpsf673ef7f.jpg

4) The gear knob gaiter is secured by 4 moulded clips into the console, two on the left and two on the right. Push either the left or right side in and lift it upwards to disconnect the gaiter from the console aperture. Pull the gaiter right up to expose the base of the gear knob where you will see a plastic collar securing the gearknob to the shaft.

WARNING: If you car has keyless go DO NOT twist the gearknob in the following procedure as you will break the keyless go switch pins and disable your keyless go in the process.

5) Holding the gearknob steady twist the plastic collet anticlockwise (when viewed from above) 90 degrees to release it. Now pull the gearknob up and off. If your car does not have keyless go you can twist it a bit to help it come off, but if your car does have keyless go you must pull straight upwards only.

For post 2005 cars where the console trim DOES NOT wrap around the COMMAND unit

6a) RHD cars have just one cup holder with the right hand one being blanked off whereas LHD cars have two cup holders. With a RHD car open the single cup holder and use a trim removal tool to carefully prise off the blanking plate cover on the right (where the second cup holder would be if there was one).

6b) Now undo the six Torx screws (three per side) to release the centre console. These are quite hard to see and there are several other screws around so consult the two photos below to ensure you unscrew the right ones. They are quite long and the ones at the back of the console are recessed in a little.

centre_console_02_zps8fd83339.jpg

centre_console_03_zpse229239f.jpg

6c) With the screws out you can lift the centre console trim up from the back, carefully manoeuvre it out past the cup holder mechanism (there are tabs that stick up behind the cup holder/blanking plate) and turn it through 90 degrees as per the photo below. Be sure not to pull it away yet as there are a host of cables that need disconnecting.

For pre 2005 cars where the console trim DOES wrap around the COMMAND unit

6a) Now undo the six Torx screws (three per side) to release the centre console. These are quite hard to see and there are several other screws around so consult the two photos above (they are in the same place on both veriosn of the console trim) to ensure you unscrew the right ones. They are quite long and the ones at the back of the console are recessed in a little.

6b) With the screws out you can lift the centre console trim up from the back, manoeuvre it out and turn it through 90 degrees as per the photos below. Be sure not to pull it away yet as there are a host of cables that need disconnecting.

centre_console_04_zpsa5743e52.jpg

centre_console_05_zpsd3299268.jpg

7) Disconnect the cables. There are three cables going to the a/c control, one disconnects normally and other two have rotating locking clips that need turning back through 90 degrees whereupon they will disconnect. The cigarette lighter connector pulls off at 90 degrees to the lighter. The mirror control, roof operation and gearbox selection cables just disconnect normally.

8) Now you can lift the console clear of the car and remove it.

centre_console_06_zps52f5dc49.jpg

centre_console_07_zpsa9f661eb.jpg

9) To strip down the console you need to unscrew the roof operation button, the main switch bank, the ashtray and the a/c controls from the console. The screws are slightly different lengths so keep them marked as to where they came from.

centre_console_08_zps8b30dc98.jpg

10) The metal plate that surrounds the main switches and contains the ESP/parktronic isolator (if parktronic is fitted) will still be attached to the console. This is removed by gripping the four small spring clips mounted on the posts of the trim (see photo below) with needle nosed pliers and gently removing them. The trim will now be free.

centre_console_09_zps86015ff1.jpg

11) To remove the ashtray cover flip the ashtray open (once the unit is removed from the centre console) and unscrew the two screws from the back (see photo below) . The trim will now unclip from the mounting.

centre_console_10_zps1c1bca3b.jpg

Reinstalling centre console trim

1) Rebuilding the console is a reverse of the dismantling procedure. Reinstall the ashtray cover by clippping it on and inserting the two small screws from the back.

2) You can flatten the spring clips that hold the metal surround on to the console trim a little with some small pliers so they grip better when they are replaced. Make sure to get them fully on to the posts so the metal trim is held tightly against the centre trim.

3) Reinstall the roof operation button, the ashtray, the a/c controls and the main switch bank making sure to use the right screws for each. Your centre console is now ready for re-installation.

centre_console_12_zps5ddb4c68.jpg

4) Re-connect the cables - one for the gearbox selector, one for mirror control, one for the roof operation, three for the a/c control (two of which have rotating locking clips) and one for the cigarette lighter.

5) Now carefully manoeuvre the console back into position (if it's a 2005 onwards model pay special attention to the tabs that locate behind the cup holder/blanking plate) taking care to ensure the cables aren't snagged anywhere.

6) Remembering to slide the locking collar over the selector lever first replace the gearknob by sliding it down onto the selector lever ensuring the gaiter is in the correct orientation as it is handed slightly. It tapers toward the outside of the console/offside of the car. Don't locate the locking collar yet.

centre_console_14_zpseb3c76d0.jpg

7) Before replacing the screws/trim ensure everything works by turning on the ignition and checking.

8) Replace the 6 Torx screws, three per side and slide the gearknob locking collar up and onto the bottom of the gearknob turning it gently until you feel it locate. Now hold the gearknob steady and turn the collar 90 degrees clockwise to 'lock' it. Clip the gaiter back in to position.

centre_console_15_zpsa331cf9e.jpg

9) Replace the side trims by sliding them forward and up before pressing the clips firmly to locate them .

10) Replace the right hand cup holder blanking plate and close the left hand cup holder

Job done!

centre_console_16_zpsfffa38e5.jpg

As a light aside I discovered an issue when I did this in that I bought a secondhand console off a breaker which I sent away for the carbon fibre hydro-dipping treatment so I didn't have to have my car laid up for 10 days. When I came to swap it I realised that said breaker had broken the two lugs that receive the rear most screws when the trim is bolted back in.

This cold not be left as they hold the rear of the trim down and without them it would be loose. What I did was cut the lugs off my old console and epoxy them to the new one.

centre_console_13_zpsf25086fb.jpg

It doesn't really matter for this 'how to', but worth checking if you buy a second console trim that it has all its lugs.

Excellent post - well done and thanks

Hi
Not to sure if anyone is still reading this post.. but do you have to disconnect any of the batteries before pulling off the connecters !

No there’s no need to disconnect the battery as all the switch connectors are well insulated.
I’ve just recently removed mine to fit a USB charger point in lieu of the cigarette lighter.
I also re modelled the ashtray to take a standard iPhone.

Shame on Photobucket removing / restricting all the photos which were a great help with all these posts.

No there’s no need to disconnect the battery as all the switch connectors are well insulated.
I’ve just recently removed mine to fit a USB charger point in lieu of the cigarette lighter.
I also re modelled the ashtray to take a standard iPhone.

Shame on Photobucket removing / restricting all the photos which were a great help with all these posts.
Ok
Thanks for the info.

I have to add I only found out how to do it after reading a similar post on another Merc forum.
I didn’t realise the side panels unclipped to reveal the fixings for the wood trim !

The power of forums.

I found that out as well, so done that bit..
Gear shift pulled out easer than I expected owing to a broken grommet at the base.
Consul is loose now but just need to check how I disconnect the Ash Tray !
The console have been pulled out before by some sort of Mechanic / Bell-End how has damaged the timber underside :(
So another job I seem to have :)

You have to remove the ashtray insert only. This is held by a small clip thingy which allows it to be removed for cleaning.
Even with the ashtray removed it is quite tight to remove the console. You have to jiggle it slightly to the rear as it comes up from the main tunnel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom