How to reduce resolution of pics on computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Car
190E Sportline.
I have some 300 picture on my computer which I would like to put onto discs,but I have run into a snag.It is taking forever. It seems that my pictures are high resolution,typically 4.7 MB.So each one is taking ages to load onto the disc.

Is there some way reduce the resolution of the pictures ? if so I might be able to do it much quicker.I would want to retain the original resolution on the ones on the computer but it doesnt matter about the ones which would be put onto the disc.

Or is there some other way to do this ? It will take days to do it as I am.

I dont have Photoshop or anything like that,and my computer skills are somewhat limited.

Any help in simple terms which I might be able to understand would be appreciated.

Mike.

You can batch resize in windows in a roundabout way.

Select multiple pictures from within My Pictures and then in the left hand pane, select 'email the selected items' and it will ask you if you want to make them all smaller.

Once done it'll open up an email with the pictures in a smaller size. Select all the pictures in the email and copy them wherever you want in the smaller size format ready to burn to disk.

(Then delete the draft email)

Many thanks for that.I took my nephews to a car show recently and they would like to have the pictures.

But I have a bigger problem too. I have thousands of pictures on the computer,lots of which are now irreplaceable. I have been for some time wanting to store them, back them up somehow in case I lose them. My last computer jusd died one day and I lost everything on it.

I thought I might be able to put all of my photos on discs but it seems that would take too long and take far too many discs.

What would be the best way to go about it ? I have seen portable hard drives for sale,could I buy one of these and store all of my thousands of pictures on it in their original high resolution ?

I have also seen memory sticks, but I dont know if they would have enough space for my needs.

Mike.

Last edited:
I would suggest your immediate concern is to save the data asap, and memory sticks are probaby the fastest method, but you will need a few large ones. Alternatively try one of the online data storage companies which allows you to upload them to thier databases but could be slow. Writing to disc is even slower, and even discs are old tech now.

Large external USB portable discs are pretty cheap now. Buy one with some good compression archival software such as Acronis and back up your entire disc. Acronis backup software and recovery services in UK. Backup and restore system software and PC system utilities for Windows and Linux OSs Set it going -go off to bed - next day- backup image complete= sorted.

p.s. this will save all your other "valuables" like downloaded programmes, E mails, order details, favorites/bookmarks, MICROSOFT operating system and security updates, alternative browsers, security package settings etc etc.

Last edited:
Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

image resizer is immensly useful.

One thing to remember is that your computer screen is 72dpi, always will be. Using image resize powertoy will allow you to look at them nicely on the pc, just dont try and print from them.

Other than that, backup backup backup, and then use picasa to upload them on line for offsite backup :)

Just another quick tip - never resize and over-write the originals. Always either save a new version or if you're not sure, copy the originals and resize the copies.

Why not just copy them onto DVD's? At 4.7Gb each you will get lots on each disk.:thumb:

A 1TB external HD is very reasonable - should be way large enough to back up all your photos, music and files etc and lots left over.....:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom