How to release/undo the front of the cup holder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxfordian

Car
C220 CDI Sports Coupe
Hi,

Car is a C220 Cdi Sports Coupe 2002 (the original one). I'm using the excellent video at 'BENZWERKS C-CLASS CENTER CONSOLE REMOVAL PART 1 OF 2' to get to the gear selector module by removing the centre console.

Unfortunately I'm stuck when trying to release or undo the front of the cup holder as shown at 4 min 50 secs of the Part 1 video, so I can't get to the 2 front bolts.

In that video the presenter very easily folds back the front section but the Coupe is slightly different as you can see from my image. In my image, the 2 tabs that I've labelled as 'A' flex upwards but I can't move or fold back that section without breaking it.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Attachments

• C220 Cdi Cup holder section.jpg
    C220 Cdi Cup holder section.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 21
Does the base of the cubby lift out? IIRC there's a bolt underneath that holds it all down

I just went out with a torch to have another look, and no. That is the bottom of the compartment on which was seated a rubberised cup shaped base for the actual cup which I've removed.

Since the section that I'm trying to release contains the cigarette lighter, I've just googled 'replacing cigarette lighter etc...' and found at W203 - c220 cdi - cigar lighter - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums an image with an instruction to 'Pull the forward edge backwards' to release that section, so it's obviously possible without breaking it.

I'll give it another go :(

Getting to the underside of the cigarette lighter

Ok, I've resolved this and I'm posting the solution for the benefit of anyone else. First, the thread should really have been titled "How to get to the underside of the cigarette lighter".

Both my first & second posts above are to the point, but the coin dish with rounded sides (see my image above) has to be prised out first. It's quite difficult but start at the back, levering and pulling upwards, towards the centre 'til it pops out. The lighter mechanism then easily folds out.

Phew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom