HOW TO: Remove & Fit C43/Standard rear bumper W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
HOW TO:
Remove & refit a rear bumper to a W202 - Pre/Post facelift/C36/C43 AMG

Time taken:
Under 1 hour
Tools required:-
13mm Socket, Small knife or screwdriver, another person for helping hold the bumper upon removal/refitting.

Parts required:
C43 bumper

1. First of all completely clear your boot. With it empty remove the flooring by pulling up the handle and fold over the left hand side floor carpet (this will make sense when you pull it out):

rearhow1.jpg

2. With the boot floor removed you will now need to remove both of the side trims - this is alot more difficult. I'll Start with the right hand side although the left hand side is slightly easier.

First up, prise off both the plastic trim plugs (see below) from the side of the rear light clusters.

rearhow2.jpg

rearhow3.jpg

rearhow4.jpg

With both plugs unclipped you will have to pull the trim/carpet out from behind this, and the remaining boot walls. Ive found this to be possible by folding & pulling at the same time, follow it around the spring mech and then it will become loose. (expect to cut/graze at least one of your fingers - see my little finger in the picture below! :rolleyes: :crazy: )

rearhow5.jpg

Take care when moving it from around the yellow spounge located on the sidewall
rearhow6.jpg

3. Repeat this process on the right hand side - far easier with the lack of a recessed well:

rearhow7.jpg

Once all the trim has been removed, place them somewhere safe.

rearhow8.jpg

4. Now to finally start removing the bumper!. first up, remove the seal in the centre that allows access to the centre bolt (if this seal has been broken the bumper has already been replaced/removed):

rearhow11.jpg

By now you should have noticed the 2x bolts located in each both corners of the 2 sides

Right hand side:

rearhow9.jpg

Left hand side: (It would appear a builder owned my car before me judging by the rubble :rolleyes: )

rearhow10.jpg

Starting with the centre bolt, unsrew all 5 with a 13mm wrench - the centre bolt is deep so watch you dont lose the nut when its unscrewed!

rearhow12.jpg

5. Back on the outside of the car, pull free the wheel arch lining so it doesnt prevent you from pulling free the bumper:

rearhow13.jpg

6. With everything out of its way, 'simply' pull the bumper off the car.
Start at the top of each wheelarch and push hard towards the rear of the car -
it is 10times easier if you get someone else to help you, not only will it be virtually trouble free you wont have the risk of dropping 1 side scratching it on the ground!

Dont be alarmed when you hear a loud screeching noise as soon as you begin pulling away the bumper, its the friction from the bumper rails.

Take your time with this, pulling from 1 side at a time!

7. With the bumper off, carefully place it on a rug/carpet or some grass.

As you can see from the pictures below, X amount of years of mud/dirt will be attached to the chassis. I recommend giving it a good cleaning as this will one day cause some unseen rusting:

rearhow14.jpg

And after a good clean:
rearhow15.jpg

8. Refitting is basically the reverse - again is by far better with someone else helping out.

You may have some grief lining up the bumper when you refit it, eg gaps on one side/perfect on the other - keep tightening each side in turn until it fits.

rearhow16.jpg

All going well, it should look like this :D

feb084.jpg

Any other questions eg, please ask!

Photobucket restored images bump :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom