How to remove front bumper w203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CiaranMcKeown

Car
C220 CDI Black
After searching for a while trying to find out how to remove the bumper so that i could fit my new intercooler i discovered there was no real step-by-step guide as such available to show us how to do this.

Thanks to Television i got a "guide" and decided to make an easier version while i was taking my car to bits. Please edit and move if required .... here goes.

1. First, open the bonnet and locate the two bolts beside the headlights, they are 8mm bolts. Remove these and set to the side. Caution, there are little metal clips on the mount where these bolts fasten to, do not lose these as they easily slide off. They are a little piece of folded metal with two thruogh it just incase you see one lying on the ground because its popped off accidently.

Attachments

• Bumper top bolts.jpg
    Bumper top bolts.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 306
2. Now there are two more bolts both 8mm again in behind the fog light casing. Thats the little black plastic around the actual fog light. You will see a circle in each one where you can place a flat headed screwdriver into and wedge out the circular insert revealing the bolt on each side. Now unscrew these.

Attachments

• foglight bolt.jpg
    foglight bolt.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 290
3. Now for the tricky part.

Remove the arch lining above the front wheels, this is easier done of the wheels ahve been put in full lock either side to give easier access to the bolts.

Then look from the wheel arch towards the headlight.

Where the bumper meets the front wing there is a clamp held in place by one screw (red arrow) and a pin to rotate on (green arrow)

The screw is one of those 6pointed star shapes, (philips or torx i think) and mine was slightly tought to remove do to the amount of dirt and grime gathered around and caked onto it, quick squirt of wd40 and by the time you remove the lining on the other arch its good to go.

Once it is unscrewed, slide a flat headed screwdriver into the gap between the fold on the clap and the bumper/wing and prise it out in the direction of the engine. Note this will rotate on the pin (green arrow) and then come away to release the bumper.

Attachments

• clamp inside.jpg
    clamp inside.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 308
  • clamp outside.jpg
    clamp outside.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 298
4. Now unclip the connections to both fog lights and the temperature sensor and the bumper should with a slight tug come away and give you acces to everything behind it. in my case the intercooler.

Be careful at this point as although the bumper is not heavy, you may want to place an old piece of carpet or something soft in front of the car to set it down onto as not to scratch the paintwork. Mine looks terrible as it is with stone chips and dirt but while you have it off you could do what i did and take the time to clean and really give it a good polish and buff.

Attachments

• Fog light rear.jpg
    Fog light rear.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 279
If anyone has any questions or would like any more information or help. Or if you live in the belfast area and need a helping hand doing this then just drop me a PM and i'll be happy to be of service.

Well done! Very clear pictures :)

Shouldn't this be on the HOWTO section? :)

Great tutorial

this help 100% bumper off.

now iam trying to get info how to dismount the intercooler in my station w230

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom