How to remove water stain off a cloth seat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
One of the less clever features of my car is that to change a headlight bulb you need to remove the front bonnet. Which left me with the problem of where to put the bonnet whilst changing the bulbs? So I placed it over the rear seats, since the bonnet was clean. When I took the bonnet back out I noticed that it had left a water stain.

I've tried fabric cleaner twice now, but the stain remains. Are there any tips, or do I just need to persevere with the fabric cleaner?

Thanks.

When ive taken bonnets off before i have stuck them of the cars roof with a blanket in between, bonnet upside down obviously.

Lynall

When ive taken bonnets off before i have stuck them of the cars roof with a blanket in between, bonnet upside down obviously.

Nice idea on a calm day. With my luck the wind would blow it off, damaging the bonnet and someone else's car in the process.....an expensive bulb change....maybe that's why Audi charge £50?

You can get Vanish in an aerosol can, thats prob your best bet.

:bannana: Sherwood Forest GTG sunday December 13th, 12 noon :bannana:

All welcome, see thread for more details.

Biological washing powder is much better than any fabric cleaner. Just make up a solution and use a nail brush.

Spot treatment of stains is always difficult in my opinion, because they have a tendancy to spread.

That is as bad as the procedure for changing the headlight bulb in a Mk V polo; the owners manual tells you to remove the rubber cover and replace bulb. All very well, what it does not tell you is that the fuel filter and mounting assembly needs to be removed before you can get access to the rubber cover. Took me 45 minutes in a garage with lead light, socket torx set with wobble bar attachment [to reach one of the buried filter mounting bolts] - must be at least 1/2 hr labour at VW dealer?

I love my 124.......

Biological washing powder is much better than any fabric cleaner. Just make up a solution and use a nail brush.
This

Vanish can "bleach" your seats. I'd try the biological powder first. Also it is likely that there would be some dirt/grease on the bonnet and bio powder will clean that also.

We expect to see before and after photos...!!

That is as bad as the procedure for changing the headlight bulb in a Mk V polo; the owners manual tells you to remove the rubber cover and replace bulb. All very well, what it does not tell you is that the fuel filter and mounting assembly needs to be removed before you can get access to the rubber cover. Took me 45 minutes in a garage with lead light, socket torx set with wobble bar attachment [to reach one of the buried filter mounting bolts] - must be at least 1/2 hr labour at VW dealer?

I love my 124.......

I didn't even complete the picture :( After removing the bonnet you then also have to remove the headlight housing, as the package is too tight to fit an adult's hand around the inner body panels. Let's hope the bulbs last for many years.

Are you cleaning the whole seat, or just trying to get rid of the marks?

The seats in my daughter's SEAT (no pun intended) Ibiza water stain very badly. They are known for it and the solution for her car is the clean the whole seat and not just a patch.

Are you cleaning the whole seat, or just trying to get rid of the marks?

The seats in my daughter's SEAT (no pun intended) Ibiza water stain very badly. They are known for it and the solution for her car is the clean the whole seat and not just a patch.

I'm cleaning a wide area around the stain, so that hopefully it returns to a uniform colour.

The staining seems to be getting less on each scrub, or maybe it's just getting darker outside so I can't see so clearly.

I'll try scrubbing the whole base to see if that blends it out better.

Don't scrub it whatever you do. Use Autoglym interior cleaner. Wet the whole seat panel-by-panel, rub over it by hand, and wipe with a clean microfibre cloth rinsing it regularly

If you wet the whole seat you won't get water marks

Nick Froome

The seats on my wife's Seat also water mark very easily. I use a Numatic George to wet the entire seat, extract and leave to dry. Failing that, get a damp cloth and rub over the entire seat again so there will be no 'edges' visible.

I used the fabric cleaner a few more times and laid tissues over the area, then put a heavy book on top to draw the moisture out. The strains have now gone :)

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom