how to remove window tint please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horgantrevor

MB Enthusiast
Car
w202 c43 & w210 E220 CDI estate w219 W221
have a w202 c36 and the back three windows are tinted aftermarket

how to remove the best way i fear that if i try to remove from back window i will damage rear heating element

any ideas:confused:

Never tried this... but depending on what tint you have (DIY film vs professional baked on) it may be as easy as bringing a hair-drier to the car and heating the tint until it peels off...

Purely a guess though...

M.

1) Place a gift wrapped empty box on back seat.

2) Drive to Sittingbourne and park.

3) Wait five minutes round nearest corner

4 Return to car and call AutoGlass to replace smashed windows.

Sometimes it pays to put a dog turd in the box before wrapping.

i would but one of my pet peves is if i go buy a car all the windows have to matching the car from factory

I had to remove some decals on my pickup. If, as I suspect, the adhesive is similar to this type then a heat gun with a variable heat setting would be better than a hairdryer which doesn't quite get hot enough really. Once the film is removed you'll also need to clean any leftover bits of adhesive with a solvent. I used tar remover for this.

This is not as hard as you all think. Firstly, you peel the film off. If it's old it is a bit harder to get off in large pieces. {I had my windscreen done for 3 years, it started to go dimply so I peeled it off and that was it, no cleaning at all}

After the film is off, there will still be a layer of dark adhesive left - you simply apply (read spray) adhesive remover onto the glass, let it work, it will slide the muck down the glass, a nice blade will wipe it off - clean with adhesive remover on a cloth and it's done. Now, the back window - same as the sides, BUT you use a plastic razor blade. Plastic blades and adhesive remover should be available from automotive paint shops.

Dealers remove tint on trades so they can then re-sell. We do it to 80% of the cars coming through...

have a w202 c36 and the back three windows are tinted aftermarket

how to remove the best way i fear that if i try to remove from back window i will damage rear heating element

any ideas:confused:
I had to do mine when I re-registered a car in Jersey.

It was pro tint ex factory not DIY, so I assume harder to remove?

Anyway, I used one of those little hand held steamers available from B & Q and other DIY places. Very effective, it melts the glue under the tint and it peeled off in big chunks. You have to be patient in order to steam/heat up big parts at a time.

Bit messy using steam, so make sure you have plenty of towels/dust sheets to cover door cards etc - but worked a treat.

Just had to clean off small amout of residue after that.

Peel it off, you going to think it will take for ever but it like a scab on your knee as a boy, once you get the going you wont stop!!

Tint now off the sticky film will be left on the glass, DONT wind down the window.

Pop down to Boots and buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol for a couple of quid and rub the film off.

Give yourself a few hours for the three.

Simon

^ +1 top tip, surgical spirit also works really well :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom