How to replace a C200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nasco12

Car
W202 C240 1999 Green; Previous: W202 C200
As it happens I've been a member for some time but about a year and a half ago, no longer needing a car for work, I lapsed and (ashamed as I am to admit it) sold the Merc.

And so it was utterly inevitable that within a year I would need a car again. But what should I get?

Previously, I was the proud owner of a W202 C200. But love it as I might I recognised that I needed something different, a challenge, something that would get me out of my comfort zone. So, I am now the owner of this:

16274358821_0091c538fb.jpg

A W202 C200. OK, they're not quite the same. The old one was a 1999 Sport with 158,000 on the clock and this is a 1996 Elegance with 75,000 on the clock. And despite both being called "C200"s they have different engines: 111.945 v 111.941. Even the colours are different.

You probably noticed when I said "owner" I didn't say "proud owner". I needed a car pronto and this was available. For £520. As you can imagine for that sort of money there are some things you don't get, like a service history for instance. And some things you do get, like lots of faults and a filthy interior. Anyway, after a bit of work and some money (£300 to be vague) most of the serious faults have been ironed out and the serious dirt cleaned out. What I am left with is just wonderful: smooth, comfortable, reliable.

Nice looking car.
Good luck with it and enjoy.

Nice, I have had 4 x W202's in the past and could not fault any of them.

I went through a similar experience last year when my "later" C200 W202 was involved in an accident. I replaced it with an earlier C200 with lower mileage and 4 speed auto rather than 5 speed. Guess what. I actually prefer the earlier replacement car. Somehow it drives better and seems to work better with the 4 speed 722.4 box.

Hopefully you don't have the early PMS engine ECU unit as they are become increasingly difficult to replace. Mercedes ECU Common Failures

Hi Graeme. Unfortunately I do have the PMS ECU and I am fully aware of the potential issues. I think the op will have same too since it's my belief that all 111.941 engines have this system. It seems these units can sometimes be repaired though (I hope)

Actually, it looks like I was wrong about the engine. Judging by the presence of a MAF and a few other things it looks like it is a 111.945 and I don't have to worry about PMS failure. I just have to worry about MAF failure instead.

Actually, it looks like I was wrong about the engine. Judging by the presence of a MAF and a few other things it looks like it is a 111.945 and I don't have to worry about PMS failure. I just have to worry about MAF failure instead.

Post the VIN and someone will get the MB DataCard for you...

Nice car and tops marks for bringing her up to scratch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom